To the the Sport Trac Genius's out there

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brock Lagunas

Reaction score
Ok guys, disregaurd that last post about weight. This is new the question. I have a 2001 Trac and I need the unsprung weight of the front and the rear. Now here is the list of "weights" that should not be accounted for

Front:

* complete suspension (no axle, no spindles, no control arms, no torsion bars, no rack and pinion, pretty much just the frame)

*tires

*wheels

Rear:

*complete suspension (no axle, or leafs)

*tires (including the spare)

*wheels (including the spare

I will be doing the calculations too... I just need this as close as I can get it.

In case some of you are wondering why im asking... im trying to figure out how much my coil springs will compress with the weight of JUST the truck on them. For those who would like to join the quest, the spring rate is 227lb/in. ill post my findings when I get out of school!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YALLS HELP!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I assume you're doing a SAS? You're probably going to have a pretty hard time finding that specific of a measurement.. the only thing I could think is to find someone who has one of the scales designed to measue weight at each wheel and use blocks to the frame to set your truck on it after removing all those parts. Kind of a pain, but at least your weight will be exact for YOUR truck (depends on options, etc.). Also, you probably want to have about a 1/2 tank of gas in it, that way you're splitting the difference between a full tank and an empty tank.

Yeah i was thinking about doing that too Dan. But in the end I just decided to ball park it. I came out with the numbers of 5" of compression in the front and 3" in the back. Good enough for me. Also I decided to make my upper and lower coil seats 2" bigger to compensate... just in case. :)

oh and yes im doing an sas

Latest posts