Tonneau Cover - leaking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
My 07 tonneau cover leaks when I run it through a car wash. I posted this several weeks ago and was told to adjust the cover. I can't find any adjustments that would pull the cover tighter to the bed.

I also posted that it's a brushless high pressure car wash and it sprays LOTS OF WATER on a 90 degree angle to the truck. I fully expect the high pressure water to squeeze in the cracks so I did something to help fix that.

When you open the cover, you'll notice a hollow rubber gasket that runs along 3 sides of each the front and back covers. When closed, this gasket seals the cover from the top of the bed rail but doesn't seal very well because it's soft and hollow. Again, taking into account the HIGH PRESSURE spray.

Here's what I did - I bought .90mm screen room spline and ran it all the way through the hollow rubber gasket - all the way around the 3 sides of the back cover. NOW IT SEALS (except for one thing).

Water doesn't come through the gasket any more but it still comes in from the corners - where the tailgate and the side panels meet. There is actually a large opening that let's in water. The tonneau cover doesn't cover those two corners very well.

Now, I'm looking for some kind of rubber seal thingie that I can use to cover these corner thus completely covering any openings. The inside corners of the bed are square and the tonneau cover corners are round - come on Ford - round shape in a square hole?

I KNOW others also experience the same thing. Does any of what I'm saying make any sense?

Comments/solutions appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to www.extang.com , they make the best snap on soft vinyl covers available. They also make a product called MAXSEAL tailgate seal that works great. Best of all its just $29.95 for the Trac, plus shipping, and installs in minutes. Basically its a peal and stick heavy duty foam seal a lot like the automotive door seals on cars and trucks.

Bob Myers

Just Jimmy what is screen room spline and where to do get it?

Only rains 7 inches a year here in Arizona but it might come in handy.

bksptr

bksptr,

When your installing a screen in a door or a window, there's a round rubber rope like spline (approx 1/8 - 1/4" round) that you squeeze in the groove around the edge of the door/window that locks the screen into the door or window. It comes in a pack around 25' long and costs a 3 - 5 dollars. You get them at the home supply stores like Home Depot or Lowes. Being that it's rubber, it seals lots of things.

I simply pushed this spline into the hole in the rubber gasket giving it more strength when closing the cover. This way, the hollow rubber gasket doesn't collapse as much when compressed.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts