Tonneau cover lock sprung?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbie Ives

Reaction score
Im driving down the highway fighting 65+ mile per hour winds, and I hear a big THUMP - check the mirror and see my Front cover blowing backwards...... apparently the wind sprung the lock. It will open with the key (or just by lifting) but will no longer latch shut securely. I currently have a ratchet strap across it to keep it from blowing open again - but I am not sure where to take it to have it fixed - dealer, locksmith, or can I get parts to fix it? Anyone with any ideas or related experience would be a great help.... I have a 2004 if that helps.

The cables may need to be lubed and the locks are not returning to their locked position, you can move the latch cable with your finger to get it to lock...

Is a common problem...

Todd Z

I just bought a 2004 and it was having the same problem. The latches on the cover would not engage. The dealer did take some off of the price because of the problem and it was definatey better for me. When I got it home I was able to take the cover off and examine the latches. It appeared that the latches had just locked up. All I did was coat them in WD40 and let them sit. After a little while, I coated them again and then just worked the latch with my fingers, locking it and unlocking it over and over again. After working it for a while, i sprayed more WD40 on it and worked it until it began working again. I also had to play with the inside safety release as it was stuck. I had to open the mechanism slightly and reposition the wire and relock the mechanism. After doing this, all 4 latches are working perfectly. The easiest money I ever saved while buying a new car. He game me money off the car for a really easy fix.

Hope this helps and your problem is not more serious.

I will try when I get home - thanks for the info. Wasnt looking forward to a repair that the dealer suggested I turn in an insurance claim for (you MUST be kidding me). I know I can move it by hand, just never thought of WD40.....

You do know WD 40 is not a lubricant. WD 40 stands for Water Displacment formula # 40. I saw this on "John Ratsenburger's Made In America" So after using the WD 40 use some lubrecant. I used to use it like that all the time. :D

From the WD-40 website.

CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers, and excess bonding material.

DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.

PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.

LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts.

PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

I use a clear silicone spray lube or white lithium spray grease on mine.

Had the same problem with mine when I first purchased it ('05).

I do it about once or twice a year, and mine works as smooth as silk!:)