tonneau cover lock wont unlock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Prescott

Reaction score
:btddhorse:

So my tonneau won't unlock on the tab side and after much reading I figure I have to replace the wiring do is there a kit and does anyone have a link for them . Or where do I have to go to get it. I turn the key and the little piece spins on the bottom but the cables don't move.

roy,

Inside the bottom of the lock assembly contains a small plastic hook that is thinner than a finger nail and it just breaks over time. That hook is what grabs the cylinder that pulls the cables when the key is turned.

No easy solution except to purchase another cable assembly kit. The kit includes new cables and the unlatch mechanism that fits on the bottom of the key cylinder. Be sure to specify either the front or rear cable assembly because the front cover has different length cables.

You do not need to change the lock cylinders as the latch release and cable assmbly can be removed with a strong pair of pliers or channel locks. Just twist the plastic sleeve while you pull downwards. Don't worry if you break it since it does not work anyway.

...Rich

i get a metal hook (an old skate key) and yank the wire in the exposed lock sections. you could use anything like needlenose. that will pop the lock for the time being.