tonneau cover lock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Doogle

Reaction score
While driving the other day I noticed the cover to my tonneau cover lock was flapping in the wind. I thought this was odd since it's never happened before. Well today I tried to open the cover and found that the key won't even turn the lock. I had to manually press the wires to release the latches. What can I do with the lock? If it's not damaged, could it be rekeyed? Or do I look into replacing it?

Thanks.

If your key worked in the past, why would you need to have it rekeyed??

You may need to spray a little lube down into the lock cylinder, but rekeying should not be required.

...Rich

Could have it froze ???

Could some one have crazy glued it on you ???

Try a spray cleaner first, then some lock lube....

Todd Z

Thanks guys for reminding me of the obvious. Sometimes the simple things get overlooked. I sprayed the lock with WD40, ran the key in & out a few times, then wiggled it left and right. It worked like a champ!

Thank you!

Never use wd40 or spray lube on a lock. It helps trap dirt and makes it stick. Get a tube of graphite power from Ace hardware and blow it the lock.

pb2624,

One of our Members who is a locksmith has already advised us never to use Graphite in a lock...It will gum it it worse than anything.

WD40 is a much better solvent than a lubricant, so it cleans all the gunk out of the lock and just leaves a light silicone lubricant. Will it attract dirt? Yes, but no more than anyother lubricant. The problem with graphite is that it is a dry powder and it will attract moisture and that turns the graphite into mud that dries and cakes. WD40 repells water and that's why it works so much better than graphite.

...Rich