Tonneau Cover question........

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a problem that is really starting to aggravate the crap out of me, and was hoping someone here may have had the same problem or may know how to fix the problem. The cables on my factory tonn. cover have either streched or snapped somewhere inside the cover, does anyone have any suggestions on how i may be able to get the stinkin' thing off - i have run out of ideas. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. this has only happened to the lock closest to the back window, the lock at the tailgate works fine. thanks in advance. :angry:

tried that, got nothing - that is what led me to take it to ford to see what was wrong with it, and they told me that the cable was either broken or stretched. ford said they would fix it - for 200.00. if i could get it off in one piece, i can buy the cable and replace it myself.

WM,

I doubt that your cables have broken or stretched so that you cannot open your cover with the key.

The problem is caused by a small plastic hook inside the cable pull assemby that is attached to the bottom of the key lock assembly. When this happens even the front emergency pull will not unlatch the front cover. If the problem is on the rear cover half, there is no emergency pull, but the cause is still the same. In fact, in over 5 years on this web site, I have not heard of anyone who actually broke a cable. The cable pull hook is in the bottom of the plastic housing where the cables attach, and the hook is about as thick as your fingernail. It is very easy to break of the very tip of the hook and it no longer will engage the cable pull drum that pulls the cables. So the key will turn, but the hook cannot rotate the barrel/drum that pulls the cables.

You can remove the by using a pair of channel lock pliers to twist and pull the plastic cable pull housing from the bottom of the key lock cylinder. You will need to replace the cable assembly. You can also cut the rivets off the plastic cable pull housing and get the cables out of the housing. Then you can pull the cables with pliers until you get your new cable assembly.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you do get them replaced, I suggest the following.

To open the cover, insert the key and turn it until you first feel resistance. Tap the top of the cover with your fist as you turn the key. This seems to give enough to allow you to open the cover very smooth with very little load on the cables...

When I had trouble with mine, I sprayed each end of all the cables with WD40 and after working them a little, They have been trouble free since.

You can manually release each latch by pushing where the cable is attached to the to the latch with your finger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts