Tonneau Cover Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mazz

Reaction score
Recently, I discovered that neither lock on my bi-fold tonneau cover were locking. If I reach into the lock housing and tug a little on the safety line it seems to reset itself and they are able to lock. Anybody know how to fix this??? Nobody that I know of has pulled that glow in the dark T line. Thanks.

Leave my 07 locked always, use the "glow in the dark" safety to open. Installed an electric tailgate lock. Works really well, don't have to mess with the "other" set of keys.

Your cables may need to be lubed, or the cable release mechanism on the bottom of the lock cylinder is going bad. The cables are operated by the tipe of a very thin plastic hook. The tip of the hook breaks off and jams in the cable track causing the cable not to fully retract and the latches will not catch and hold the stricker bar. If you find that your key turns but the latches will not release, your cable hook has broken. You will have tor replace the cable assemblies which include both left and right cables and the plastic cable release housing that mounts to the bottom of the key lock cylinder.

...Rich

Both of my locks have done this. The key turns and the cables do not move. Anyone know the part numbers I will need to get these replaced? Also how do I take this apart?

I should have bought an aftermarket cover, they look better, and would have had new keys. SO far I spent 300 for the used cover, 80 for the striker plates, and 60 to rekey the locks, that dont work. Probably still cheaper than an aftermarket one would have been though, but I am ready to throw this one out on the street. I thought about just attatching some string pull to the locks, and just not using the keys anymore.

thanks I will try this. That is if I can get the trucks dismal 10.5 MPG up to atleast 15 or 16. If not than its going bye bye.