Tonneau Covers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just what I have read about the factory cover specs:

Approx. Weight, 70 pounds...

Load weight (properly secured): 70 pounds, also, although I could find nothing on

load distribution (70# sq', etc...) although I don't think it would hold THAT much!

Mine has worked flawlessly. When I first bought the "Trac, I got out there and opened

up the cover and used white lithium spray-type grease on all of the hinges, lock

mechanisms, pivot points,cables, etc... And mine operates as smooth as glass, now!

The keys turn smoothly without binding, etc...!

when we moved i put my king size matress, both twin box springs and frame on top off the cover. had no problems with that. i've also put 6 sheets of 3/4" plywood on top of the cover as well.

recently though my cover has pretty much crapped out on me and become useless if you ever needed to remove it. the back half of the cover will not unlock anymore. the lock spins around with the key in it and it seems as if the cables that operate the lock no longer work as there is a lot of slock in it. but it does not open. it is permanently locked!! now the front half of the cover is the exact opposite....it does not lock. i have taken my cover off many times and want to continue taking it off if i still will be able too. anyone's suggestions on how i can get my cover to work again or just be able to unlock the back half and not lock it again would be helpful. my wife drives a smaller car and i tend to use my truck to haul materials occassionally. thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff C

First I think your cover pic above is "sweet". I looked at your project one and it didn't quite do it for me I guess because it looked like a piece attached with surface hindges.

However, the new top is just so right on .

I noticed on the hinge end of the top you buried the hinges and put what looks like another piece of wood with the marine vinyl cover how did you attach the hinge to the body and top?

What size hinge was used?

How weather tight is it?

If you were to do this again is there anything you would change?

And where did you get that awsome wing?

Pete

Jeff C's tonneau looks better than the OEM or any aftermarkets I've seen, IMO.

Thanks guys.

Rich, haven't had a chance to snap a pic yet, camera is on the fritz.

Pete, the top one is not attached by hinges, it is only held down by the locks at the rear. I found it easier to remove. The reason the 2x6 at the front of the bed on the pic is because I don't have access to a table saw down here at school. I was worried at first about it wanting to lift up, but a few thousand miles of driving has eased my mind. As for weather, it's fairly water proof. I also have a bedrug, and the way the supports are, the water that comes in the sides of the tonneau goes behind the bedrug and drains out the bottom. The only place water comes in is from the main gap, but only when it's sitting still and pouring down rain, and even then, it's a pretty small amount. I would have no reservations whatsoever about leaving my luggage in the back there. If I did it again, I wouldn't do it the night before a Louisville meet having to finish at 2am and be on the road at 3am. The wing is from a '99 Mustang GT, just bolted on. I think it follows the lines of the ST perfectly.