Torque Converter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Im looking for a high performance torque converter for my ST, but dont see anything anywhere... Anyone have an suggestions?

Pro torque on long Island here by me will make a custom one... They made mine...

Stock slip is 1800-2000... Mine is 2500-3000....

Todd Z

www.protorque.com

Thats the RPM the engine will be allowed under FULL load to slip before the converter hydraulically couples to move the truck...

You can change it...

I assumed you knew about them since you asked for a "performance" converter..

Mine was around $380.00

Todd Z

Well I know a little about them since reading this weekend, but I still dont know what exactly im looking for in means of performance.

The 2500-3000 gives more HP? Im looking for better low/mid end torque.

XST...what the higher stall converter does, is allows you to power brake and get the RPMs' up higher, for a stronger take off. They are used in racing more than street use. If you use one I would suggest a larger trans cooler. The extra slippage in the converter, generates more Fluid heat. Todd is using a larger pan. More fluid is helping his heat buildup.

A torque converter doe not increase torque, per se. As Eddie said, it will allow you to rev your engine higher before taking off. That will improve your launch RPM.

For a street car, IMO, you are wasting your money.

If I were you, I would find out how hard it is to replace your solenoid and replace it. Replacing the converter is expensive and going with a performance one for something that might be alright anyways is a waste of money. If the converter is bad, then that is a different story.

Tom

Well, now that I have the TC turned right off, my truck is getting better gas mileage than it was after the tranny rebuild. It also doesnt make this annoying noise when I come to a stop, and best of all it is no longer stalling.

Most, except the stalling issue was present immediately after my tranny rebuild. I have been getting crap gas mileage since then as well. I think sometimes it works properly every 6 months and I would get a nice tank out of it, b ut for the most part almost 1/2 of what I should get!

Anyways, what im trying to say is... I am pointing the finger at the tranny shop that re-built the tranny. I had no issues with any of this until that was done.

Since its been over a year im going to offer to buy the parts for a FREE install, to make up for the hundreds of dollars in wasted fuel, and parts to try to fix the stalling, the several times I had to take a cab so they could look at it and tell me nothing is wrong, etc.

I dont do power braking. So I will get the stock one I guess.

Contact the BBB to see if there were any complaints there and the nature of those complaints.

Tom

Again, IF they did a "rebuild" chances are they reused the old solenoids. The converter is a hydraulic coupling, it would have to have an electromagnet or some type of mechanical coupling for it to stick...

Tell them to replace the solenoid first before you rip the tranny out of the truck for no good reason....

Todd Z

Mine acts like it is engaged from a stop, and then it seems like it releases? Does this sound like a solenoid issue?

Olaf, thanks, but 2 of the places I went to all checked out on BBB... Pretty useless for accuracy.

Todd, Im sure the TC is damaged due to this problem.

Im almost liking how well it drives without, maybe I will just leave it alone ;)