Torsion Bar Adjustment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow STers,

I was underneath my ST today while doing some cleaning and inspecting everything. I noticed the space between the bottom swingarm and the rubber stop on the chassis is very close, probably 3/8". Is this OK/normal? I don't know how much the swingarm travels but I thought it looked a little too close. The truck rides nicely and its level. It may be a bit soft on the front end but with our roads here I don't particularly want to stiffen it up. The adjustment bolts are to where the bolt heads are just peeking out of the bottom of the framework.

Open to any comments on correct adjustments:grin:

sounds to me like it has been lowered a bit... when i lifted my trac the tortion bolts were up inside the framework not sticking out... if you know how i would suggest turning them in .5 to 1 inch to regain stock ride height... then take it for an alignment. all you need to twist the bolts is a 13mm socket and a 1/2" ratchet or a strong arm (i would suggest the strong arm) and some jacks. its a simple fix if you want to do it...

1)park your trac on flat level ground

2)measure with a tape measure from the ground to the top center of the wheel well(write these numbers down)

3)lift the front of your truck so the tires just leave the ground and turn the blots in 1/2 to 1 inch to regain stock ride height

4) take your trac for an alignment

It's possible your truck was lowered using a torsion key flip, or drop adjuster keys.

That would explain the stock location and appearance of the torsion adjuster bolts.

After I had lowering keys installed, the arms were 3/8" from the bump stops. (2" drop)

Though unlikely, but possible, is your torsion bars are extremely weak and worn. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
My trac is stock hieght. The gap between my front bumpers and frame. Is just enough to stick my thumb in.

Really Eddie? I have read the arm doesn't drop the same distance as the torsion bolts.

I understand ride height varies greatly with our trucks. But by that much? Thanks.

Jerry,

Shocks themselves do not actually affect the height of the vehicle unless they are spring -over shocks.

Yes they have gas pressure in them, but it is with the purpose to dampen movement, not lift the vehicle.

As an example, if you press down on a new shock it will collapse and you are able to hold it in the down position. Again, if it was designed to lift the vehicle there would be little chance you collapse them by you physically pushing down on the shock.

Follow me?

OK! here's what I did.

Lifted front of truck and supported off ground with jackstands.

Measured from top of tire to fender...both sides were the same.

Sprayed adjusting bolts with WD-40 and rotated each one clockwise three complete turns.

Lowered truck and gap between swingarm and stop is now as EddieS'04 says "a thumbs thickness" clearance (approximately 3/4").

I'm gonna leave it there for now. Don't wanna stiffen the front end any, she rides just nicely at this setting.

When adjusting torsion bolts, it's highly recommended you get the alignment checked.

Call around, many places will offer free wheel alignment checks. Good luck.

Latest posts