Torsion bar removal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
Anyone remove their torsion bars? Do I need a special tool or can I just raise up the ST and loosen them all the way?

I have not done it personally, but when I was wondering the same thing, I found the install manual for the SuperLift very helpful. You can find it on their website while also looking at the kit details. It should be a downloadable PDF file.

I saw the $140.00 tool on the superlift website. Just wanted to find another solution. Looks like a 2 jaw puller would do the same thing.

I was able to remove the torsion bars to change the ball joints. No special tools in my low budget garage. Let me review what I did (about a year ago) and post the answer here.

Got a chance to look at the situation. Remove the covers over the ends of the torsion bars.

This allows access to the torsion bar ends and the hardware holding them. Now jack up one side of the truck (front) lifting by the frame until the front tire clears the ground. This takes some of the twist or tosion off the bar. Before disassembly mark the position of the bar into the front sockets. The bar must be replaced in the identical manner. Also measure the amount of the threads on the torsion bar bolt. So when the bolt is replaced the same amount of pressure can be reapplied by using the measurement. At the end of the bar is a lever with one bolt. This bolt is what is holding the bar in torsion. Also note a small depression or hole in the lever. Position a small hydraulic or screw type jack under this depression or hole. The jack can be raised up on some wood blocks as it only has to extend about 2". The idea is to use the jack to apply pressure to the lever at that depression, when this happens the bolt can be unscrewed and when the jack is released (slowly) the torsion will be taken off the bar. Again, extend the jack about 2" before contacting the lever. It is this 2" that allows you to lower the jack and take the tension off the bar in a controlled manner.

The Ford manual adivses new bolts be used along with loc-tite type product.

Replace the bars by reverising the procedure. There is a special tool shown inthe Ford manual, however, this method worked for me.

Be very careful when working under a vechile lifted up. Use good quality jack stands and chock all the wheels

Sorry I could nt get back to you sooner, I drive a truck and cannot plan my time as such. The ST was at home and I needed a visual to refresh my memory.

Good Luck.

Latest posts