torsion bar ?????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Faile

Reaction score
What I have here is I am wanting to change the keyways on the end of the torsion bars. I have ordered new ones on a different degree so I can go lower. I was wanting to know if I jack it up and let the front tires hang would that take the tension off the keyways or do I have to have what I've heard of as a torsion bar unloading tool ? Any help I greatly appreciated. Thanks !!! Charles

The proper way is to use a jaw type gear puller. The ghetto way is easier...

1) Jack up the front end so that the wheels hang free, put jackstands under the frame.

2) Take the covers off from the bottom of the torsion keys and remove the torsion bolt.

3) Use a bottle jack on a cinder block or wood block (for height) and lift the end of the torsion key a little bit.

4) Now you can slide out the tab of metal that that the torsion bolt goes through.

5) After removing that tab, slowly lower the bottle jack and allow the torsion key to rotate down.

6) All the load is now off the bar, you can slide it out of the lower control arm.

You can save the cost of the new keys by flipping the torsion key over and grinding a divot for the bolt to rest in. Do a search for torsion flip over on ExplorerForum.com, I seem to remember a pretty good writeup over there on it.

Hey Dan thanks for the info. And for the flip it is to late. My new keyways are on the way. If returned there would be a 35% restocking fee. So I will keep them. And thanks for leading me to that other web site. There was very useful info that I got from there. I appreciate it and thanks again.

Charles

No problem, I'm thinking about doing the flip to mine here soon. I removed my bolts completely but only got about 1.5" of drop out of it. I'm waiting until I get my 20's installed next week to see how they look. Then I'll need to remove a leaf from my leaf pack since I've already got 3" blocks and will need the rear a little lower as well.... does it never end!?:D

Dan

I got them from airbagit.com. They were $ 39 plus $16 on shipping and handling. When I first check about a yr. ago the were $ 59. I should receive them in a couple of days and I will let you know what I think of them w/ quality ...etc..........

Charles

Latest posts