Torsion Twist - No Shackles?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Shindle

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my ST from the stock 235 Michelins to some nice BFG's, 265/75/16. I had a TT done on the front but my mechanic told me that if I wanted to level the Trac a little I shouldn't put shackles on the rear. I had searched around long and hard on this site for several months and never heard of someone not putting shackles on the rear while getting the TT done.

Lo and behold when it was done I was surprised to see that, after about an inch and a half on the front and no shackles the Trac was more level and the rear was still a little high. In fact I had no cladding to trim up front and only a little to trim in the rear passenger tire well because the plastic looked a little bent in compared to the driver rear well. Anyways, I wanted to know if anyone else has had the same experience; a TT without the need for rear shackles. Thanks in advance!

i have TT/SL with 265 75 16 no rubbing and mine sits pretty level,was your trac lowered before. did the 1.5 inches bring it up a little higher than stock

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Trac already has a factory Rake of about 2 to 3 inches. By lifting the front, you level everything out. The Shackles do about 1 1/4" worth of lift. The shackles give you a little more lift.

Tom

Thanks; with the adjustment in the rake it won't affect braking or overall suspension will it? Also, is there any added stress on the CV joint - I have heard that from some before. Thanks again for all the help.

I put 265/75's on also. If I had to do it again I'd probably skip the shackles. It's that much higher I've got to climb to get into the bed, which is often (I'm tall but not getting any younger). The 265's rubbed up front a little at full lock and on the inner fender in the rear. Just turning the bars up to level will be fine w/o the shackles. I did that on the Ranger I had before. Put 45k on it that way including some 'froading, never had a CV problem. Mostly I got the shackles for extra ground clearance, not tire clearance. Basically I'm up about 1.25" with the TT and shackles and another 1.5" from the tires (3" taller tire = 1.5" each side of rim).

Without the shackles my truck would sit level.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a 3" Body Lift and a TT(1.5"). My truck sits level and rides real nice with my 285/75 Goodyear MTRs. I bought the shackles but never installed them. After the doing the TT lift, I like the way it looks with the front and back level.[Broken External Image]:

man those teflon wheels are badass. I want them on mine. I have 285/75/16 on mine and a camburg spindle , control arms, and torsion twist but still rubs in the front due to the lengthend arms. but also had 265/75/16 and had no problem except for the bed wheel wells but they trim themselves nicely while driving.

Latest posts