Toshiba Laptop

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentheREALone Z

Reaction score
Sorry for the OT, but I've got a problem with a Toshiba M65 Laptop, it won't start. Have tried everything I know, but when I push the power button, it glows for about 10 seconds, them nothing. Never get a diplay, never to cmos, nothing. Took it to a computer repair business and the guy first said it was hibernate, da da da. He got it to start, removed the hibernate stuff, and it worked for less than a day (a week ago). He now says it is dead, probable m/b. By the way, this was a Christmas gift for the wife in 05', so the warranty is out by 6 months or so.

Am I screwed? :huh:

BTW, spent about two grand for the thing in 05.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little more info please...

When you say it glows, I assume you mean the power button, correct?

Does the display EVER light up or flicker or anything?

Do you hear any beeps when it is booting up?

Kevin;

The power button has a blue backlight in to let you know the power is on. When I turn it on, the blue backlight comes on for 10 seconds only, then goes off. Sometimes the fan comes on, sometimes not. Absolutely nothing else, no sign of boot, no cmos, no video (or driver load), no h/w verification, memory, no beeps, nothing.

It sounds as though the power adapter is either bad or has a bad connection and isnt powering up the laptop. Do you see the light on the laptop for the A/C power source?

Take a multimeter if you have one and test the powersupply for the laptop. I've replaced more power supplies for toshiba then i care to remeber. Alot of times it's just the connector that plugs into the laptop that's bad. But give it a try. Toshiba's are pretty sturdy.

I also think it is a power problem, that is what mine does (the glowing light for 10 seconds and nothing else) when the battery is dead. When I plug it in it then fires up fine.

you may have to call the compunay i just got mine fixed for free. were mine connects to the comupter was bad. i just sent it off and they fixed it so give them a call all they can say is no.

Power Supply was checked, output is okay.

Light indicator for charging is on when unit is plugged in.

I've been thinking it may be the connection also, cause it acts like a dead/low battery, but the battery has also been checked at full voltage.

BTW, this happened overnight. L/T was used, turned off, next morning would not turn on.

I'll stick my Fluke on the connections tonight when I get home.

Thanks, more comments/ideas welcome.

Getting in touch with Toshiba is almost impossible.

did you pull the battery and try it on AC power alone?

even though the battery tests good sometimes

they will have a short in them.

this causes the system to not work at all, either

on battery due to the short or on AC because its detecting

the short.

I had the same situation with my Dell. I don't know if the Toshiba has the same arrangement, but there's a mini ribbon cable that connects the power switch panel to the main part of the pc. The plug on the ribbon cable was not properly seated into it's corresponding socket at the other end. So every time I pushed the power button, the connection would temporarily mate, and the light would go on. As soon as I released the power button everything would go dead. When I removed the switch panel to take a look, it became clear that the connectors were not properly seated.

Tried it without the battery again, just to make sure. Nothing.

I've resigned myself to sneding the M65 back for repair, I guess I'll bend over.

I've had plenty of desktops apart, built some, etc.. But this L/T is packed solid with goodies (that don't work right now) so I figure I should send it back, out of warranty.

BTW, I've used the 7777 number, Thanks. I just need to get an RMA...:angry:

Ken,

darn i was hoping it was a bad battery as i have had a

toshiba and compaq come in this past year with the same

symptoms and the battery's were bad and not allowing the

system to post.

the only other thing i can think of for you to try is the memory.

do you have one single or 2 sticks in it.

if you have 2 sticks try them one at a time if only one

see if you can borrow a stick and try it.

i recently had a dell come in with this problem and also wouldn't

get to post.

other than that everything else would be internal and would require

dis-assembly of the laptop.

Rich;

Tried the memory thing last night, still no response.

Thanks to all that tried to help. I'll re-post once it's back from Toshiba. Gonna buy a new one tomorrow for the wife, as North Carolina has a EDUCATION sales tax holiday and Laptops (up to $3500) qualify. :unsure:

Good News!

Toshiba Manager said it would be repaired for free, providing no damage by user (which there is NONE).

Nice to see them stand behind their product, out of warranty.

Get this, got raped by UPS (Union?)

Phone conversation went like this;

Toshiba: Just take it to the UPS Store, they will properly ship it to us in Charlotte.

Wife: Okay, I have the original box and packaging, I could put it in that and ship it from work (no cost to me). I live only 50 miles from you.

Toshiba: Oh no, Toshiba has an exclusive agreement with UPS, where UPS is responsible for your laptop. In fact, I received a laptop today with a broken display, from UPS shipping. Ups will pay for the replacement.

Wife: Well, okay, I guess I'll take it to the local UPS store then, because I don't want it damaged due to my shipping/packaging.

Next scene, UPS Store.......

UPS: Okay, we'll package and ship this to Charlotte for you. Did you want to insure it?

Wife: pardon?

UPS: Insure it.

Wife: I thought you have an exclusive agreement with Toshiba, covering damage?

UPS: We do, up to $100.

Wife: What laptop is worth repairing for $100 due to your shipping damage?

UPS: Don't know, but do you want it insured?

Wife: (very pissed by now, gives up) Okay.

UPS: How much do you want that insured for?

Wife: $1800

UPS: That will be $40, and we'll have it in Charlotte (50 miles) in two days.

Me: I could of driven for $10, in 1 hour. But then again, I'm supporting our economy and union workers.... God Bless America

And WE WONDER ABOUT CHINA AND OTHERS???

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts