Towing a Trailer - 2WD Limited Slip

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2001ST 2WD w/ 4.10 limited slip axle. Will I have any problems pulling a boat off of a wet ramp? My boat/motor/trailer weighs approximately 3000 lbs. Shoiuld I be concerned?

Keep your tires dry. Make sure you have good tires. Wrangler RT/S are not good tires.

Tom

nope, don't floor it like an idiot and you will be fine... Slow and steady will win the race...

Todd Z

limited slip should make that easier..when the left rear wheel looses traction the LS will kick in, so that the right rear wheel pulls also...

Bring along a bag of kitty litter and sprinkle it on the ramp in front of the rear tires. That will help somewhat with traction.

make sure you place the boat on the trailer w/ sufficient tongue weight, maybe a little more than 10%. this will plant the rear tires. also, if need be, let some air out of the tires for a bigger contact patch, if the above doesn't quite work....

Dont let air out of tires...make sure you have proper inflation not over inflation...then you will have the proper, tread contact patch...

Letting air out in sand might help, but not on a paved, wet boat ramp...

Do it all the time. One ramp I use, the trailer tires were actually off the end of the ramp in river mud, and I have to pull them up over the bottom lip of the ramp with my Trac's tires on a wet, muddy ramp. Thought I might have to have my wife help push with the boat motor, but the Trac pulled it out like a champ. 4.10/limited slip.

The right tires make all the difference in the world. Good quality all terrain tires should work. Tires meant for the highway will spin. I have Pirelli Scorpion ATs.

I also trailer a boat with the same set up. 17.5 boat with and I/O and have had no problems on any boat ramp.

I start out in 2nd gear when pulling out and it just go slow.

Latest posts