towing a uhaul

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
I need to tow a small uhaul trailer next month but unfortunately I have no idea how to tow something. This is my first truck, always been small sports cars so I am kind of stupid when it comes to this stuff. What do I need for a hitch/ball/etc.? I have a 2005 ST Adrenalin 4x4. THanks for the help.

I'm sure somebody else will chime in too...but chances are you won't be able to rent a U-haul that will be towed by your ST. U-haul won't rent to owners of Explorers and that includes our ST's.

Yup, Going to have to try budget, OR a private place.

U-Haul will not rent to us....

You have the wiring for a small trailer already. You can tow up to 3500 max on the bumper.

You will more than likely need a 2 inch ball with a 3/4 inch shank.

As far as driving, remember the extra weight, longer stopping distances and take offs. The trailer can throw you around a little too... Backing up may be a problem for you, so don't get into the need to back up....

Just some basics..

Todd Z

Some years back there was a to-do with Firestone tires on Explorers and Uhaul trailers. Much litigation followed, and the end result was that Uhaul threw up their hands and proclaimed that they shalt not rent trailers to drivers of Explorers. Regardless of our quasi-Explorer status, they still see that shiny little "Explorer" emblem and turn up their noses.

Someone else can expound on the details of the lawsuit, I suppose, but that's it in a nutshell.

I wonder what they'd do if I took that emblem off and replaced it with a Ranger emblem. It's more Ranger then Explorer IMO anyway.

You can't rent anything that hooks up to any Explorer. You can't even rent a car dolly or a car trailer to tow any Explorer.

Do a search of these boards, this subject comes up every once in a while.

I rented the uhaul to tow behind my Sport Trac with a friends truck and just hooked it up to my sport trac and towed it from tx to fl. Returned it with the Sport Trac and they didn't say anything. My sport trac is lifted and has 35"s so they might not have recogonized it, but then again I'm in Fl so they prob didn't care.

What Todd Z said...pay attention, don't make sudden moves with the steering wheel, remember to allow extra room for turns (especially right turns) and try to avoid having to back in anywhere. My ST has a standard 2-inch receiver with a 2-inch ball, handles anything from my local rent-all place that I need to pull.

If you do have to go in reverse, remember to turn the wheel OPPOSITE of the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. Sounds screwy, but that is how it goes. If that is confusing, the trick I was taught was to steer with your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, not the top. If you keep your hand on the bottom, then you move your hand in the SAME direction as you want the back of the trailer to go. Makes it a little easier. Oh, and while backing up, don't be shy about stopping and pulling forward a bit to try again if needed....better to take a couple extra minutes and look like a rookie then to ding up the trailer and have to pay damages or ding up your house, garage, or fence. Or worse, another vehicle.