towing early

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony stewart

Reaction score
When I bought my 07 three weeks ago I was heading to the lake the next day.I called my wifes uncle ,who's a mechanic, and asked him if it was ok to tow even though i only had a 100 miles or less on the engine.He said since I was pulling a pontoon weighing less than 2700 lbs it really wouldnt strain the v8.He said the 500 mile thing really applied to the older technology of seating the rings and such before towing.Any comments about this thinking.I went ahead to the lake and it seems to be running fine.Should I worry about this or let the warranty cover any future problems it could cause.

Your manual should give you the correct information. It is the last word on what is good or bad, followed by the dealer. There is a lot of heresay on stuff like this. On my '02, i beleive it said refrain from towing for 500 miles. Will it hurt it? IMHO, probably not. If you were towing a trailer at the weight limit, it would present red flags.. The engines nowdays, as far as the rings go, are pretty much good to go right off the get-go, although not fully broken in, but close..

I did as the manual suggested, and waited the 500+ miles before towing my camper, (3500+lbs.), and it just made me feel better about towing it,,,,,,,,,,just my two cents,,,,,,,,MaRK

While I definatley won't tow for the first 500 miles (and probaly not until after 1K) I like the way STanner put it, I doubt that you hurt it....... Hopefully you took it real easy in regards to hard accelerations and things like that while you were towing.

Last edited by a moderator: