Towing Horsepower

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Zeleniak

Reaction score
Well I added a set of air bags, and used the ST to tow my horse trailer. We had an Expedition in the past, but the wife could not stand putting gas in it so she traded it in on a Lexus. I still impressed by the versatility of the ST. As it sits, the trailer is about 4800 Lbs, and it towed fine. I have a Prodigy brake controller, it works well. I put pictures of how I mounted it in my library, it is in the center consol;e, and very convenient to activate. I used about 60 lbs of air in the air bags, and that keeps the truck level. Even climbing some pretty large grades the V6 did fine.

[Broken External Image]:

Cool... When setup right the ST can do almost any thing you want... :cool:

Todd Z

How about a project write up on how to wire and mount it? I tow a breakless popup right now but plan on getting something bigger soon and am keeping the ST for awhile. So I will needa brake controller then.

PS Who did the air bags? What kind of cost should I expect?

I would be interested in what the air bags do and who installed them also. I have pulled my horse trailer empty just to see how much it would make the ST squat. Mine is 3500 lbs empty and I only plan on taking one horse in it and just to the local park. We have a wampus truck when I need to go further. Still need to set up an appointment to get a brake control installed. Yours looks nice with the trailer. Unfortunately, my trailer is brown and since I have a large nicer one, will not be trading the smaller one off (ST is silver).

Jo[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed the air bags myself. It only took about 2.5 hours. I was able to find a new set on ebay. They are Airlift brand model 59514/59534 and will fit both 4x4 and 4x2 ST's. I paid $140 shipped to my door. J C Whitney quoted me $185.00 plus freight. You can download the installation manuel from www.Airliftcompany.com. They are very detailed and easy to follow. They work very well, you can inflate them up to 100 psi, at 60 psi they more than leveled out my ST with the trailer loaded with gear, water and one horse. I think that for short hauls, even a sceond horse would be fine. The controller is also fairly easy to connect. The prodidy does not need to be level, so you can mount it almost anywhere, but being able to use the manual lever to apply the trailer brakes realy makes it nice. I used the stock 4 pin plug with a 6 pin adaptor. The two extra wires are red, goes to +, I T'ed into the power port at the rear of the bed. The blue wire, I ran forward into the center console where it connects to the controller pigtail. The other three wires to the controller are simple also, one goes to ground, one to + (I used the power port at the center console), and the other to the stop light (I used the power feed to the CHMSL). I carved a hole big enough for the cotroller plug to fit through in the bottom of the center console. When it is not being used, I just stuff the plug into the void under the console. I cover the hole with the stock rubber cover. I used the cover as a template and made a wooden blank to fill the floor of the center console, I added a short piece of 2x4 carved to match the contour of the controller. I painted the wood with a wrinkle finish paint so it looks like a oem part. I added a self taping screw at the lower plate to keep the unit secure. It makes a clean install, and yet can not be detected when I am not using it.

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts