towing my girlfriends horse

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince Campana

Reaction score
Hey guys got another question for you all. I'm supposed to be towing a horse trailer later this week about 200miles (horse included about 3,300-4,000lbs). I was double checking the max weight the trac can tow when I saw that after you have a trailer that is 1,800 lbs or so, i forgot the numbers, you need a weight distribution hitch. I have a aftermarket hitch on there and am wondering if that is what the manual is requiring. Also I think im going to have to invest in one of those brake line extenders for a boat trailer in the next couple of months.... any good cheap suggestions?

Thanks All,

Vince,

aka Woppy

You will need a class 3 hitch and reciever. The equalizer hitch has two arms that are inserted into the hitch reciever and then fastened to the trailer tougue. The equalizer bars lifts the back of the truck and the front of the trailer to keep everything in alignment, and distributes the wieght more evan between the two. Most trailers over 2000 lbs have electric brakes that are actuated by a controller in side your truck.

Class 3 hitch = $100 to $150

Reciver and equalizer = $150 to $200

Brake Controller = $100 to $200

These are Canadian prices.

I just had my truck set up to pull a trailer. I pulled Approx 5000 lbs 2000 miles accros the Noerthern Roockies with out any problems. Just turn the Overdrive off, while towing.

I would not tow with OD on. Though you can do it, overdrive gear and band is not build for that stress. It's really kind of wimpy. Eventually it will blow out. I got this info from a friend that teaches Ford truck mechanics.

sdm

No real input regarding the hitch, but I was glad to hear that you're towing the horse in a trailer. From the subject line, I feared you were just going to tow the horse, the way that the dog got "towed" behind the station wagon in National Lampoon's Vacation. :D

Is your Trac aq manual or automatic tranny?

First off, the Class III Hitch is good for 5000 LBS. If you want to tow 6000 LBS Class III hitches say you must use a weight distribution hitch.

You need to pay attention what the tongue weight will be. Horse trailers look to be a little on the tongue heavy side.

Tom

Make your girlfriend ride the horse wherever you and she go. That way, if you have a fight, you can always use "...and the horse you rode in on!" line. :lol:

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts