Towing question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an 03' or newer ST in about a year. I'm curious about towing capability. The torque seems pretty good (I plan to supercharge anyhow). The weight of the 4x4 ST is around 4,300lbs., so a trailor wouldn't easily through the truck around. I would certainly want a manual tranny for towing, but they seem hard to come by (used any way). I need to be able to tow about 7,000lbs. (this may not be realistic). How heavy a load have you guys towed with your sport tracks (manual or automatic tranny), and did it feel safe? Was it much of a strain on the truck?

First off, get the idea of a manual tranny being better for towing. It isn't the case.

If you plan on towing 7000 LBS on a regular basis, get an F-150.

The towing limits for the Automatic Tranny 4x2 Trac is 5300 LBS. 5000 LBS for a 4x4.

A Manual tranny is rated something like 2000 LBS.

There were so few manual tranny buyers, Ford quit offering them.

I have towed in excess of 7000 LBS. It was alot of load to pull. The Trac did fine, but I would not even consider towing it across the country.

There is no class IV hitch, that I know of, available for the Trac. Only a Class III. Class III hitches are rated for 5000 LBS load bearing hitch and 6000 LBS Weight distribution hitch.

IIRC, 2003 was the last year the manual tranny was offered.

Tom

Latest posts