Towing Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick T 2

Reaction score
I plan to buy a 5 x 6 utility trailer. Is it ok to use the bumper hitch location or should I install a receiver hitch. I only found class 3 hitches and they will stick out from the bumper. As I only expect to use it a few times a year and pull less than a 1000 pounds, I am looking for options to do this.

Hi Rick, I was planning on towing with my 02 Sport Tracs rear bumper too but found out it was too high and the trailer rear nearly touched the ground. I ended up buying a "Hidden Hitch". The only part you see is the reciever part. It's class 3 and installation was only an hour with basic socket wrenches. Check the owners manual. I think the rear bumper is rated over 1000 pounds if you decide to go that way. Later, Dohn

You shouldn't have a problem, but you will most likely run into the problem Dohn did as well as a problem with scratching your bumper. To each his own though. The weight shouldl not be a problem.

Your bumper hitch will be just fine for your planned use. You may have a minor issue with the angle of the trailer because of the higher connection point.

It might work, but you run the risk of damaging the bumper when making sharp turns backing up. Sometimes the front of the trailer will turn into the bumper.