towing road trip

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe M 2

Reaction score
Okay....posted awhile back about towing equipment needed. Well the time has pretty much arrived. Leaving Thursday bright (day break) and early from Birmingham driving to Orlando....pulling a 5x10 ft enclosed trailer (with luggage for 20 people in it--nothing heavy).

Got the ball attached to the bumper nice and tight. Got the wiring harness attached and working properly. Towing will be a rarity, so decided against the hitch. Tried to tighten the bolts on the bumper, but apparently I'm a weakling b/c the didn't move.

I read all the old posts. I know to give myself EXTRA room to stop, make wider turns, and tongue weighting.

Anyone have pearls of wisdome they'd care to share that I may not have thought about.

Joe M.

Be careful on slippery surfaces like rain. Turning while braking hard can cause your vehicle to jack-knife.

The best recomendation I can give you is learn how to drive whith a trailer. Go to an empty parking lot and drive backwards. Learn how to drive a trailer backwards and how to park. You never know what situations you may encounter with a trailer.

I did that when i got my trailer. I am good, not great, and backing it up. All I need is an inch or two on each side of the trailer and I can get it in the spot.

Tom

ok quick tip on backing up(works for me ) look in the side view mirrors. and if the trailer starts moving farther to the right turn the wheel toward thet mirror. and slight adjustments, turing the wheel alto will not help really only need 1/4-1/2 turn to do adjustment.

for the first couple of times have a guide person behing u to help.

good luck

dont forget that if a lot of downshifting occous durring towing through hills turn of the OD. Also speeds above 60mph when towing put quite the zap on mpg. I towed my 14' trihull boat from vermont to south carolina and got about 15 mpg.

Also, regarding backing up...

I learned a trick about backing a trailer recently (at 40, still learning new things). I always heard and knew the conventional wisdom of "turn the wheel the way you want the trailer to go", but frankly, since I don't back up a trailer that often still have problems making my brain tell my hands what to do.

The "tip" I read, in Outdoorsmen mag or somesuch, was to:

a) use your mirrors only (don't look over your shoulder)

b) Steer with one hand, and place that hand at the BOTTOM of the steering wheel and keep it there...in that position you truly and easily need only move your hand and the wheel the direction you want the trailer to go.

TJR