towing shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith L 2

Reaction score
We just got back from a trip to the beach and pulled our pop-up. Although the pop-up is small it has a lot of tongue weight because of the front storage. My '01 squats more than it should so I'm going to put new shocks on it. I've read several mesages about this and I've decided to use new shocks instead of some kind of leveling gear. I went to Advanced Auto parts and they sell the" Monroe SENSA-TRAC Load Adjusting Shock" Are these the ones everyone has been talking about and will they help with sagging? Thanks.

What shocks do you have on now? If you still have the OEM shocks, dump 'em imediately (or sooner). I also suggest you put under strong consideration the Roadmaster Active Suspension as they not only help the leaf springs do their job better they also help control sway.

Shocks alone will not adjust your ride height. I'm not a fan of air shocks, either.... Try redistributing the contents of the popup to get to the 10% tongue weight. If you can't, then you need torsion bars on your hitch. You may be able to adjust by lowering the torsion bars in front to level out the trac...

I hate to keep ragging on the 07, but with the class III hitch option, the tow bar is part of the frame of the truck, deleting any concerns about shocks, as far as I know. I towed a 4000 lb. trailor, and my rear fender wells stayed the same distance from my tires the whole trip,,,,,,,,,great tower,,,,,,mark