Towing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Markulic

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with the 07 in terms of towing ? They indicate a 6800 lb capacity but that means must use weight distribution bars. I looked into air lifts (had them on my expedition) but they said they will not work with the 07 because of coils around the springs. I have a boat >6,000 and want to be sure I can tow it with my ST (V8).

Weight distributing hitches are generally used for trailers with heavy tounge weight. The 07 Sprot Trac says it can carry 500 lbs on the hitch. I plan on picking my 07 up shortly and will be using it to tow a 17' Trail lite trailer, 2550 lbs dry with 195 lb's hitch weight dry. Should be OK.

I may have to use my wife's Envoy XL which has a capacity of 7,000 lbs. I have to check if that is with WD bars. My 24 foot boat may be a bit much for the ST.

it should tow it w/o probs... boats are easy to tow, because they're aerodynamic up front, as opposed to a travel trailer, which are flat up front..... just position your boat so your tongue weight is ideal...... you should have 10-15% on the tongue..... then see how it tows. ....if the trailer wags the ST, try more weight on the tongue..... you may need a swqy control setup though... HTH, JMHO

I towed my 27foot Trail Lite trailer over 2000 miles in August with my 2007 4x4 Limited V8 ST. No problems at all with the 4000+ pounds, even in the mountains. I use a weight distribution hitch and a friction sway-bar control. The W-D hitch keeps the truck from bouncing through the bumps, but I could tow my trailer without it. The sway bar really helps keep the trailer straight going down the highway, especially in the cross winds.

If you are going a short distance with the boat, the ST will not have any problems at all.

Skully, as mentioned by brian, as long as your tongue weight is not over 500lbs, you'll be fine. If there is anything that you can do to offset the tongue weight (try to place items that you are carrying in the boat behind the boat trailer axles) that will help. Ford has always produced a good stout motor. My bike club has a 26.5 ft enclosed trailer(pics in my library) that I'll be pulling from time to time and i'm not concerned but i'll be sure to load it properly.

Thanks. I want to put airl lifts on which do a lot like the weight distribution and sway bars. However the Company told me that the springs changed on the '07 so I may not be able to (coils around the springs). I'm going to check into it more over the winter though . Air lifts or WD and sway bars.

Lil Red - I saw your pics of the trailer and the chrome. Looks good but how are the plastic rims holding up. Think they are worth the $ ?