TPMS...."Tire Pressure Monitor Fault"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Clymer

Reaction score
My TPMS fault light has come on out of the blue....again. I had aftermarket wheels put on a coupld of weeks ago and no light. 2 days after having them mounted I went into a touch free car wasf and the light came on after the car wash. The next day it went off so no biggie there. This weekend I took the ST through the touch free car wash again and the light came back on, but this time it has not turned off. Every time I get in, I have to reset it so it goes away. I didn't think the new wheels were the issue since the light did not come on right after those being put on....only after the car wash. The sensor is not located within the wheel itself, so where is it located? Any opinions on my issue?

Stay out of the car wash.:lol: Just kidding. I wondered how good those things are. I have a 01 ST with the manual squat guage. :lol: Good luck though.

Are there some very STRONG magnets inside this car wash? The sensors are inside each wheel. When they are trained, they are placed in a training mode and a magnet is brought to each individual wheel. A magnet shouldn't affect it unless it's in training mode, but there's always a possibility something is interefering with that part of it...

Does sound strange. The tire sensors are actually a silver band with a blue tire pressure sensor attached to the band. The band wraps around the wheel.

Do the tires you are using now operate at the same pressure as the factory tires?

Well I had no issue with them until I went into the car wash. I do not think they are the same pressure as the stock wheels, plus they are bigger. BUT I have had no issue with them until the car wash. Also I was told that normally the sensor is in the wheel but for the '07 they said it was not. I wonder what is going on.

what about the spare ????

Todd Z

If you have aftermarket rims your light will go on, unless you buy the kits for each wheel (about $150 CDN per wheel from Ford), or take the kits off your old wheels. It seems to be flakey for the first little bit after you take off the wheels that had the transmitters in, or if you disconnect the battery, but trust me, you will need to hit the reset everytime or live with the light, the carwash is a coincidence.

The TPMS IS in the wheel in the 07's. It's a band that wraps around the wheel that holds a sensor tightly very near the valve stem.

They are calibrated for the pressure on your door jamb. On my 07 they are calibrated for 32 psi. They are designed to "trip" if your pressure in your tire drops 25% below the calibrated setting.

If you have other than stock wheels and the pressure is different, they might be ok........maybe the cold water in the car wash is throwing the temp off just enough to trip them.