Trac in shop for almost a month now!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo Wainwright

Reaction score
Took my Trac (02) into the Ford Dealer because on my way to work I noticed it felt like it was in 4 wheel high without being put into it. Light was not on. Tried to move it over into 4 wheel high and move it back out and the 4 wheel High light came on but it was in 4 wheel low. Played around with it and finally got it to go back into 4 wheel high, but switch was in 2 wheel.

They had it from 1/8-1/17. Said had to replace the trnasfer case due to the fact that the front tires on it were 3 sizes too small (I had just had Farm & Fleet replace front tires 1 month ago and even though I paid for the correct size, that was not what was installed). Went to Farm & Fleet and had them replace the tires, but still 1st gear (automatic) sounded too loud, went right back to the Ford garage (Farm & Fleet paid for the bill from Ford).

Now Ford says it's my transmission & said case was also cracked They said they can either do a rebuild, or remanufactured. They called Farm & Fleet's insurance company who found a used one with 9,000 miles on it. Had to wait around for all of this, and finally got it back 2/9. We live out on a farm and our drive is very icy so had to put it in 4 wheel high to get up into the garage because it was spinning. Guess what .............no 4 wheel drive. Called Ford and they had me bring it back today. He thought that the mechanic forgot to plug something in, but after waiting for it for over an hour, that was not the case. Now I have to wait until Monday for their Tech guy to look at it.

As I am sitting in the lounge, I see their customer service statement. I wonder if they are aware of rule #3 FIX IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME.

I did ask for a rental when I had to take it back the 2nd time. Today the Manager told me it would be okay for me to drive it and just use the 2 wheel drive. I told him that where I live I either need front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. It was only by the Grace of God that I got it up onto the road to get it back over to the Ford Garage. Got another rental.

Have you ever heard of all this going wrong???

I guess if someone is still reading, I do have an unrelated question. My light behind the fuel indicator does not work. Does the dash have to be disassembled to get to this?

Jo

I mean no foul but I would have noticed right away that the tire size was wrong, before I left the store. 3 sizes small is very noticable...

Glad the tire store is admiting their fault. Rare in these days.

How could you not notice the tires were 3 sizes too small when they were installed? The recommended tire size is listed in the manual, fuel door or door jam. Even if too small how would that effect the 4x4 system? I had three sizes too big on and never had a problem. Sounds like this dealer has no idea how to fix the system. You would think once they fixed it the first time that they would test the 4x4 system before handing the vehicle back to you.

Even if too small how would that effect the 4x4 system?
front and rear tires turing at different rpms.... much like urning 4wd on dry asphalt. Tears up the transfer case.

Agreed on not noticing the different sizes, but it does happen. Just this morning, took dw's focus and had the tires rotated. Got a call an hour after we got home to come pick up her center caps.... they had forgotten to put them back on. Neither of us noticed when we picked up the car. So, they might have been in a hurry to pick up the truck and just not noticed.....

Got the Trac back. Farm & Fleet has paid for everything. Come to think of it, they were supposed to call me when they got two more tires in because I decided to replace the rear tires also. Wonder why they haven't called (ha).

Ended up buying a car and letting my husband have the Trac since he has been thinking about a small truck and I told him we do not need "3" trucks. We already have an F350 (for farm work and pulling the horse trailer that has the living quarters), my Trac and his car. His car is a disgrace, and he is too cheap to go out and buy something else. At least this gives us a car and keeps the Trac in the family.

Ford replaced the light behind the fuel gauge and did not charge me. I don't even have to tell them who I am when I call. They know my voice and I know theirs.

Jo

Latest posts