Traction in Snow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Weicht

Reaction score
Down here in Texas it doesn't snow very often but we got like (what seems like) a foot of snow today. It was definately the most ive ever seen here since ive been born. Unfortunately i have a 2wd ST =( Is there anything i can do to better my traction instead of just getting new tires? im talking in general not just for the snow

Put a locker in the rear end, that will make a substantial difference. If you have not done so, replace the OEM sway bar with an after-market one. I do not know the specs but I am sure Todd sells them.

And, I know you were not looking for snow only off hand, throw some weight in the back for now as it will help you immediately..

Put 200 pounds of sand bags (available at home improvement stores) over the rear axle and keep your gas tank full.

e07e1762754df06f93ae096529d03f38.png

Last edited by a moderator:
there are many types of lockers that you can get... the rear diff is very common... all you will need is a locker for a 8.8 rear diff that is 31 splined.

it will all depend on how much money you care to spend.:driving:

I have a 2wd trac w/ factory limited slip diff up here in NY snow country... Check to see if you have a LS by looking at the tag on the door jamb under axle... a code that has a letter and number in it denotes a LS rear... See post below for specifics... Good tires will go a long way, but weight is the key... I use to run 7 75# bags of tube sand in mine, and it would go anywhere i needed to go... place it as far back as possible, and if you don't have LS, put it toward the passenger rear tire... I also air down the tires in really bad weather, helps a lot... 20-25psi :supercool:

A Ford limited-slip is available from Summit Racing for around $250. In Texas that should be sufficient. If you get that, you will need limited-slip additive in the differential.

I am in Texas also and I also have a 4x2 Sport trac and I dont want to spend alot of money that I dont need to I mean how many times dose it so like this in Texas I could add the weight but is it really worth it for at the most 2 or 3 days of snow?

Taylor, Shawn,

If you really got a lot, then you probably have to Shovel it some. Put the shoveled snow in the back, and pack it down. (Keep it below the power port plug) The weight of the snow will help, its free, and it eventually goes away on its own.

Dave

You can get an Aussie locker for our trucks for $270 plus shipping. With one of those you'll be able to offroad your 4x2.

While we're on lockers, I vaguely recall it being said that they couldn't be installed on our LSDs.

Didn't take note of it, cause I wasn't interested then. Now I am, so could ya'll enlighten me?

...and why is the Aussie thing about half the price of the PowerTrax?

My ST is 2wd as well, and we've had over 2' this year. The TCS alone does real well in the snow. I added 3 sand bags in the back, and tha helped a lot. $10-$12 well spent! -- and they should last for years.

Do the 1st Gens have Traction Control?

Hey Taylor, maybe the best place to start is with a good set of tires and some weight in the back. For now, just stay home, drink as much beer as you can and wait for the snow to melt. If you might be planning any off-road activities in the future, then think about a LS for your back axle. BC :haveabeer:

Weight in the back is good, but just drive it carefully, and if you get stuck on ice, put the E-brake on 2 clicks. It slows down the rotation and keeps you from slipping.

As far as weight in the back, try shoveling snow from your driveway into the back of the truck. That'll give you the weight you need, and by the time you no longer need it, it melts and goes away.

And actually some times a posi in the back causes you to fish tail and that could be worse then a peg leg if you cant drive it right..

Todd Z