trailer rewire problem-question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just finished putting a new light and wiring package on my 4 x 8 trailer. Really simple job. Just the 2 rear lights and wiring w/plug and ground and that's it.

Got finished and plugged it to the truck and when you turn on the lights on the truck the trailer lights come on fine. but when you use a turn signal both trailer lights blink, and when you mash the brakes the trailer lights go out. since there is only 4 total wires (2 sets), a ground wire, and 2 lights on this deal ..........that leaves very few things that could be wrong.

I retraced everything down........The wires from the lights are hooked up on the correct side with the wire colors connected accurately. So the only thing I could think of was the connection to the truck where it plugs up......so although that looked fine, I cleaned the plug holes on the truck really good with a 22 caliber wire gun barrel brush, then vacuumed them out, and even added connection lubricant and still get the same thing. any ideas???? Thanks

Sounds like a ground issue FWIW. Here's the 4 wire connector pins just to be sure you have it.

33035237f67bac6cfa3ed0b60ed8a085.gif

First, disconnect the trailer connection and verify that the truck plug is wired properly.

In addition to checking the ground, also make sure there are no nicks along the trailer wiring where it might be grounding out between the connector and the light fixtures. Maybe you accidentally nicked one of the wires while making a connection or clipping the wires to the bottom of the trailer.

Latest posts