Trailer towing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 Bob

Reaction score
Hi to all ! My first post;

I own a 2005 Sport Trac and want to add a trailer brake controller. Besides the factory flat 4 pin plug that exists at the rear is there any other factory wiring that I can look for and use ??

Thanks to all who reply :)

That is the only wiring that I found when I installed mine. They are not that hard to install. 2wires to the battery, 1 to the brake relay, and 1 back to the trailer connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found two extra wires hidden in the bumper of my 02 sport trac and was told that they were for trailer brakes... But never went any further... So not sure if that is what they are for.

you need to run 3 wires from the front to the rear to power a travel trailer. i used a 12/3 extension cord. i ran it down the frame rail. the 3 wires were ground, +12v for charging the trailer battery, and brake output. i ran wires into the cabin through the speedo cable grommet. i mounted the controller where my ashtray was. see library for pics, it is a 16 year old controller.... run the 12v power from the battery through a fuse, run the power through the controller through a 25 amp circuit breaker.... i f there is an issue, you will want the circuit breaker to reset instead of blow a fuse. i would reccomend the 7 pin/and 4 wire flat moulded combo plug, for it's convenience and corrosion resistance... the signal for your brake controller is labeled CHMSL, and you can find the feed in the fusebox on the left side of the dash, or under the rear bumper. do not tap into the wires from the brake switch. there are no factory 'plugs' under the dash for trailer stuff, as on the F-150.... HTH

I envy you guys and your electrical and mechanical abilities. I took my 02 ST in to have a brake control and plug put in so I can tow my Horse Trailer. Left with $218.00 missing from my checking account!

Jo

Latest posts