Trailer Wiring - 4 wire flat to 5 wire flat

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I own a 2001 2WD Sport Trac that has the std 4 wire flat connector just under the bumper. I recently bought a boat and its trailer comes std with disc brakes. As a result, the trailer comes std with a 5 wire flat connector. The boat and trailer only weigh around 3000 lbs, so I probably don't even need to worry about the trailer brakes, but since they are there, I would like to use them.

My question is, "How do I get the 5th wire into the loop on my truck connector?" - Whre do I get the necessary parts-any detailed instructions would be helpful.

I think the 5th wire is for reverse to deactivate the trailer brakes.

Thanks in advance.

Tarheel, go to an auto parts store like advance, etc and look for an adaptor from one plug to another. I have an adaptor plug that goes from the flat plug to a round bargman type for my 5000lb payload. It might just have the jumper built in to take care of the brakes. Gary D. in CT

I think you will have to get electric brake controller,then wire it in,including running a separate blue wire to the trailer plug ,go to Tekonsha on line they are very helpful & will answer any questions, I have just hooked up a trailer with electric brakes to my 01 trac

I had to do the opposite. I have rear amber turn signals on my ST. I had to get a five-wire to four-wire converter.

Whenever I wire up trailer wiring for friends, I like to use the converters that have an independent 12 volt feed. It reduces the demand on the factory wiring.

Get yourself a 7 RV style plug. You will then be covered for anything. Then get a 7 to 5 adapter.

A boat trailer with electric brakes? I think they are surge brakes.

You are correct about the 5th wire. It is connected to your back-up lights and deactivates the surge brakes so you can back up.

Tom