Tran is Slipping Already! SOB!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
Anyonne know how to fix this crap? I've read this is not unusual for the 6 speed auto. It only does it at low speeds and low rpm. I don't notice it wide open!

Okay... Carey... Listen carefully.

DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER FOR A TSB.

Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. Touch the terminals together. Reconnect, and for the next 3 tanks, drive it like you stole it.

I won't get into why this works, 'cause it's a long explanation, but it does. Has to do with Ford's "adaptive learning."

And while doing all of that stand on one foot, hop up and down and pat your head while rubbing your belly...:rolleyes::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like Andy has had this problem before.

Paul H

lmfao! Actually, Paul, I haven't. I'm the only one I know of that has had ZERO tranny issues with the 6-speed. Some local friends had the issues, so I started investigating and pondering why I wasn't having those issues. After a lengthy discussion with a Ford engineer, I understood the "adaptive learning." Basically, if it learns that you drive like an old lady, it shifts like one. Same if you drive like me. It shifts hard and fast. Where you have the problem is when it learns you drive like an old lady. It continuously wants to keep you in the highest gear possible for fuel economy, 'cause, well, it has learned you don't like to go zooooooom. It doesn't keep itself ready for zooooooom. If you drive it like you stole it, it stays in more of a ready state.

Bottom line: If it thinks you're a race car driver, you can drive like an old lady whenever you want. If you drive it nice, you can rarely get it to shift like a race car. If you do about half and half, it gets confused in it's tiny little brain and keeps you in a high gear for granny driving, but upon stopping or slowing, it gets antsy and thinks you're about to race.

The TSBs basically dumb it down even further so you lose the advantage of the adaptive learning when you want it.

Yes.

Allow me to clarify. Not the terminals on the battery. The ones on the truck that attach to the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if disconnecting the battery would fix my issue as well......mine only slips if it's been sitting for like 15 hrs or more.

Prob not since anything under that I have no slip issues. My slip issue is from when I first start it up (after 15hrs) it slips in reverse or drive (1st gear) but only for a few seconds.

I have also tried to just start it up, let it sit in neutral for a few min, throw it into reverse and it's fine.

Just seems all the fluid is down in the pan after sitting for so long and once I crank it up, it's taking a few seconds for the fluid to circulate and allow proper shifting.

When I first got my '04 new. I knew it had adaptive learning. I drove it hard to make it shift like I want. It still shifts very positive and acurate to my taste today.

I baby my truck. It rarely sees over 1500 rpms. Amanda is always wining because I drive so slow. I do it for fuel economy and break in period. Her WRX is like a little rocket on wheels. She rides it hard and puts it away wet every day. Still gets 20mpg city! She has been used to that type of acceleration and performance. I've always driven a V8 truck so, for the sake of fuel economy, I'm lite on the gas. I try to only fill up twice a month.

Adaptive learning...pfff. Pain in the a$$.

Maybe you can tell me this;

Whenever I do floor it on the highway it creates a weird odor when I shut it off when I park it. My F150 did the same thing. I've not owned a vehicle for more than 25,000 miles in a long time so I'm wondering if it's just because they are not broken in. My service manager says it should only take about 2-3k for a complete break in with most of todays vehicles.

Carey.....

Did you try the battery thing and did it work??

Is the smell like rotten eggs? If so, it's your cat....most cars/trucks get that smell when you get on it.

When I had my Ranger, it from time to time got this BBQ smell......never did figure out where or what was causing it. It did this even during normal driving.

Well, when you do, pls come back and post an update what you find out or if it did work.

With some of these tranny issues, I don't like the idea that we have to keep clearing the computer to fix the issue. Ford needs to get their tranny sperts off their @ss's and come up with a solution not a bunch of TSB's. IMO

I've never had a tranny prob in the past with any car I've owned til now.

Yesterday, I called another Ford local dealership other than the one where I bought my truck. The service rep I spoke with told me to open the hood and pull the tranny stick and check the fluid. :wacko: The dumb ass didn't understand that the '07's do not have a stick under the hood for the tranny. After aprox. 5 min arguing this point, he called on another advisor and then said he was sorry for his incompetence.....

If advisors are this stupid, I fear what their tech's are like. I'll prob end up taking my truck back to where I bought it and hope they don't screw it up even more. :angry:

Carey, do an hour or so trip at a high speed. :)

You're not getting the cats very hot through normal driving.

The funky smell is the sulfates in the fuel. The cats have never got hot enough for the catylyst to cure and burn off..

Latest posts