Trannie squeek when shifting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
I know the new trannie tune firms everything up, but I had the window down today and notice under moderate to hard acceleration I hear this mechanical "squeek" on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Not sure if its OK or the leadup to something? Any comments?

I am willing Bet it is the serp belt on the engine...... Tranny is shifting too firm or your belt tensioner is going bad...

install a good year racing belt on it.... or lower the tranny pressures..

Todd Z

Could easily be what Todd suggests or if you tow/offroad alot like I do then you may need to flush your trans and replace the filter. I did mine when it started making noises, tranny shop showed me that the fluid was getting to hot and was coagulating, making air pockets in the trans thus making the squeeking noise I had that you're describing. $90 new filter and flush fixed it.:smile0006:

My guess is that you're having the same problem I am (see link below).

I brought this to Torrie's attention and sent him some datalogs.

He was able to adjust the tunes and it's now noise free 99% of the time.

The new issue is that now the tranny doesn't shift, with hard acceleration, until 6000 to 7000 RPM and I'm losing power.

I need to capture some more datalogs and send them to Torrie.

See Todd's comment in the link below and touch base with your programmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sould suspect a universal joint or CV joint problem first. You may even want to roll down all the windows and list for the squeak when accelerating and braking and the transmission is not shifting. A good way to test this is to drive down a narrow street or alley where there are buildings on both sides. The noise becomes very obvious as it echos off the buildings.

It can also just be an engine or transmission mount causing the squeak. It only does it on shifts because thats when the tension on the mounts changes. Shifts into 5th gear or O/D are not even perceptable and not enough flexing occurs to cause the squeak.

It could even be a body, chassis/suspension that is generating the squeak when the transmission shifts for the same reason an enigne or transmission mount.

The rubber may have deteriorated, or the component is a little loose. I seriously doubt that the squeak is actually comming from inside the transmission, or that you would even be able to hear it if it was.

...Rich

Latest posts