tranny 2-3 shift

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Taylor

Reaction score
Felt several slips in the 2-3 shift this morning when it was cold. Stopped when it warmed up. 1st morning it was around 32 degrees... Tranny serviced by dealer at 25,000 and 50,000 miles. Now have 58000. No OD light flash of death(yet?).

Those of you who have had problems, did they occur very rapidly, or slowly?

I'm going to reset the computer tonight and see if that makes any difference. I'd take it to the dealer(extended warrenty), but I'm afraid right now I would get the "could not reproduce" statement...

Thanks

Chris

You might get the "could not reproduce" statement, but you will also get it documented, and they can scan for trouble codes, etc.

I would take it in.

That's exactly what happened with my 01. I had the dealer keep the truck overnight so that they could drive it while the tranny was cold. This was at around 22k miles. I never got the flashing OD light, but the dealer ended up replacing the transmission twice under warranty (the first replacement also had the 2-3 flare). I have a pdf in my library that explains one cause of the 2-3 flare, and a possible solution.

My '04 has done the 2 to 3 flare shift since new. It does it once for every 20 or more shifts, only if Iam soft on the throttle....

Come to think of it, it was only when I was light on the throttle. A bit more acceleration and it seemed to work fine... Hmmmm...

Mine did it last winter, a hard shift between 2 & 3 when cold in the morning and random stalls while accelerating, the dealer reflashed the computer and that solved the issue, well I also started waiting 1 minute before driving off when cold.

Mine started doing it last winter, a 01-J2. It's been fine, only during light acceleration, told the wife the Trac likes me driving it hard.

Wow.. i started getting this about 3 weeks ago. With light accelration (sp?) it will slip, sometimes really bad between 2nd-3rd. I'm taking it to the dealer this week. I pretty much know how to get it to slip so I'll have to take a service rep for a ride.

I'll report back what i find.

I started driving it a bit harder, and I can't get it to slip. Easy acceleration, when cold, it will flare... I'm headed to the dealer this Thursday. Maybe I'll get lucky too!

Took it in... Got a "could not duplicate". However, it's now documented. I can't get it to do it all the time either, so, for now, it's intermittant. As soon as it starts doing it more, I'll take it in again...

Mine did the same thing only on mild acceleration as well. My Trac had about 18K miles at the time and the flare started occurring very rarely (while warm actually), but given our tranny's reputation I took her to the dealership ASAP. They adjusted something and replaced a solenoid (I don't recall exact procedure) but I noticed the flare again a couple of days later. I had the tranny flushed and the flare hasn't occured since and I'm now at over 20K miles. I hope regular maintenance and recent Xcal2 tune will keep the gremlins at bay.

Started slipping worse, so took it in again. Dealer will be replacing the #2 solinoid which needs to be working right for the 2-3 shift. Also replacing the sensor on it that was not reading the pressure correctly. I'll get it back Monday, so we'll see.

This is covered under an extended warranty, so I'm driving a F150 4x4 for the weekend. Quite a bit more truck than I need, but that was all the Enterprise guy(who they get the loaners from) had available. :rolleyes: