Tranny fixed for under $200

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith L 2

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Trac that has been suffering from the 1-2 slip for the past 6 months. I finally brought it in to a very honest shop for their evaluation. The shop owner Kenny (Kenny's transmission, Baton Rouge, LA) said there were no codes stored and suggested that he service the tranny (fluid, filter & gasket) and he said he talked to a buddy at the Ford dealership that said there is an updated program for that tranny, so he also flashed the computer. I do not exaggerate when I say this, but my truck shifts so smoothly now you almost have to look at the tach to know that its shifted gears. I was very impressed and glad that I didn't have to rebuild the tranny. Oh, by the way, I have 108,000 miles on my truck. Hope this might help someone. I'm afraid a lot of people are being taken to the bank by dealerships and dishonest tranny shops who are replacing transmissions that don't need to be. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It's such a good feeling when you can find a shop that wants to do the right thing the first time instead of jerking you around.

Great info. That's too good to be true.

Is it possible that there are updates available for an '02 with similar shifting issues? What if my shop doesn't have a buddy at Ford service?

Keith, I live in Baton Rouge and I was thinking about bringing mine in for a check-up. My transmition is fine with no slip, but I have heard so many horror stories that I want to get it serviced and checked out. I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance (to a certain extent of course).

Keith, we are thinking of having a Louisiana Mini Meet in August, you should come.