Tranny fluid mishap (Mercon / Mercon V)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Geller

Reaction score
I think I just made a pretty serious error. I just got my ST, and noticed the tranny cooler was leaking at the return line, so I tightened everything up and stopped the leak. I checked the ATF fluid and noticed it was down a bit, so I went into my shop and pulled the ATF fluid out and topped her up (about 1/4 of a liter).

Being bored at work today I was reading the manual and noticed this....

"DO NOT MIX Mercon and Mercon V fluids"

So I call the wife and send her to the shop and she says the fluid I used is a Mercon and not a Mercon V fluid.

How much trouble am I in? Do I need to do a flush and fill? Is this small amount ok?

Naw, That little bit should do no damage at all......

Todd Z

What's the diff between the 2?

Should I be safe and drain the fluids this weekend and do a fresh fill with Mercon V???

Any quirks I should know about if I do decide to drain and fill?

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bases of the fluids are the same , the additives are different. Also MercV is a partial synthetic fluid....

As for changing the fluids, IF your due for service, then do it, IF not, that little bit will mix in and should not hurt any thing....

If your worried that bad, Then do a service....

Todd Z

Thanks, but I just stay in a holiday express every night... !! :wacko::lol::lol::lol:

Todd Z