Tranny Flush

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Willey

Reaction score
I have been out and about getting estimates on flushing the transmission of 2005 ST that has less than 11,000 miles and replacing the fluid with a synthetic. The estimates range from $289 up to over $400. A local shop quoted $290, but that was not for a complete flush. They told me Ford products come with a transmission drain plug that will do the same thing as a flush. A local AMMCO shop quoted $289 using a blend and $400+ using a synthetic (the manager told me to get a true flush it would take 24 to 30 quarts). He didn’t think it would be economically feasible to do it and suggested installing an external transmission cooling system. What are your suggestions?

I notice there is what appears to be a mini A/C between the radiator and grill. What is that? Surely it isn’t the A/C is it?

Your ST has a trans cooler; that is the small radiator you refer to as a mini A/C. A flush should cost about $90 at places like Valvoline Oil Change. I imagine they'd charge either the same or a bit less if you brought your own fluid. So check with the quick change shops, Firestone, etc for prices. Stay away....very far away.....from AAmco and Cottman.

Thats the tranny cooler, most st come with them.

The ST does NOT have a drain plug, and if it did that only changes 4 qts....

You best bet is to find a quick lube place to do the flush, and give them 12 qts of the synthetic fluid you want to use...

Even better, Drop the pan, do the EPC adjust, fill with regular MercV from ford, and then at 20K have it flushed 100% to full synthetic...

Todd Z

Joe,

I'm sorry but you are getting a load of crap. I paid about $85 to have my transmission flushed on my 2001 Sport Trac about 4 years ago. It was done at a local Kwik-Kar lube center. I watch the entire process and it is a very simple procedure.

The machine was loaded with 10 quarts of a 100% synthetic Mercon-V compatible fluid. The clear plastic lines are attached to the cooling line that pumps the fluid from the transmission to the cooler, and the line from the flushing machine goes to the cooler. When the vehicle is started and the idle is increased to about 2000 rpm and the fluid gets pumped out of the transmission. As the old fluid is pushed out of the transmission, the new fluid is pushed back into the cooler and transmission. With the clear plastic lines you can see the fluid moving through the lines.

When all the old fluid is pumped out of the transmission you will see the fluid coming out of the transmission change from the dark brown dirty color to the bright red color of the fresh new fluid.

It appears that some of the quotes you are getting include droping the pan, changing the filter and then flushing the fluid. And others that claim you need 30 quarts of fluid to flush the transmission are totally false.

A 10 quart flush of the 5R55e transmission will replace about 98% of the fluid in the transmission. Even if they ran 30 quarts through, they would still never achieve a 100% fluid replacement !!!

I just checked with my local Kwik-Kar Lube shop that did the fluid flush on my 2001 Sport Trac, and the price is still the same ($85) for my 2003 Sport Trac. So I will be getting mine done sometime next week.

Transmission Flushes in this area run from $85 to about $130. Anyone who tries to charge you more are ripping you off. They are either trying to sell you un-needed additives, additional fluid, or some other bogus service that is not needed.

I don't necessaryly say that you should go to every quick lube center. Some are better than others. Our local Kwik-Kar lube is a privately owned franchise and the lady that owns it is very well known and has a very respecable reputation in the community. Also, the fact tha I can watch the entire procedure I can insure that the tech does not screw up, and they also warranty their work, 100%

PS: Most lube shops will not accept fluid you purchased, so check with them first. Remember that most of their profit comes from the sale of the oil and fluids and the labor charges are built into their standard fee for that service. They generally will not break down the flush into labor/fluid components

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like i got the best deal of all for tranny flushes, $55 with 10 quarts of merc V used to flush it. My local mechanic, just charged for fluid and the 15 minutes of labor it took....

Seems to shift better with less shudder, but i still have to do the darn epc adjustment!

But anything mroe than what the dealer would charge is too much!

Good luck

Andy

Either a quicky-lube if you can be positive they will put in Mercon V ATF or the Ford dealer. My dealer charges $129 and sometimes I get coupons in the mail for less.

What's wrong with Cottman? I've been using them for my fluid/filter changes since I bought mine...no problems. $48 for the above service.

Andy,

I could get mine flushed for about $55 also, but that would include 10 quarts of semi-synthetic Mercon-V. I prefer to pay a little extra for the full synthetic fluid. However, If you are getting a full synthetic Mercon-V for $55, then that is a really good deal !

...Rich

Did the transmission flush with Mercon V at a Valvoline shop for $90. I believe their price sign said the full synthetic flush was something like $139.

Here is an update.

The local Texaco/Havoline lube shop does tranny flushes for $99, but they don't use a full synthetic. Mgr said he would give me a break on cost if I brought my own in. Amsoil will cost me about $8.50 a quart. You do the math.

My Ford dealer charges $139 for a standard flush and $189 for a Mercon 5 full synthetic flush. I thought Mercon 5 was a blend.

I'm so confused!:wacko:

MerconV is a blend. Maybe that dealer carries mercV full synthetic.

They could also be wrong....

Todd Z

Todd,

Mercon-V from a Ford dealer is a semi-synthetic blend, but there are several companies that make full synthetic Mercon-V fluid, or 100% Mercon-V compatible synthetic fluids. Royal purple is one of the best ones, but also more expensive. I would use it but I cannot find any shop that will flush the tranny with RP fluid. I think it's because they don't make any money off the fluid if I buy it and bring it in.

...Rich

MerconV is a blend. Maybe that dealer carries mercV full synthetic.

Thats what I said....

Todd Z

Todd,

Yes you did! Sorry, I guess I'm getting tired or senial and misread your previous response. :wacko:

...Rich

Just got back in from buying my Monroe Reflexes. Stopped at the local lube shop to see how much he will knock off the price if I use my fluids. The manager said $25 bringing the cost down to $75 for the flush. He also told me he would discount the oil change if I use my own fluids. He sells Havoline products.

Anyway stopped in at Walmart and found they sell Mobil-1 ATF for about $3.00 less a quart than Amsoil. The Mobil-1 motor oil is about $2.00 less than Amsoil. Do any of you have any comments or recommendations regarding Mobil-1 ATF v Amsoil?

OBTW, also stopped in at the local Ford dealer for a face-to-face with the service people. The guy remembered me from yesterday’s phone call. I told him it was my understanding that Mercon-V was a blend. He went into the backroom and returned with a quart. He couldn’t tell from the label if it was a full synthetic or blend he then looked in his parts catalog. I suggested he query the Internet. He asked me to wait while he went in the back to ask a mechanic. Several minutes later he returned. Told me “Yup is a full synthetic blend”:lol: I told him thanks and would get back to him and then left. Ain’t life great?!?

Joe,

I use Mobil-1 syntehtic engine oil but I have nver tried their tranny fluid?? If the shop will let you bring your own fluid, I would spring for the good stuff and buy Royal Purple. It will be more expensive than the Mobil-1, but I think it's worth it with the reputation of the Sport Trac's tranmission :p

They sell Royal Purple products at NAPA auto parts stores, and I think O'Reilly carries them as well.

...Rich