Tranny From Hell???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
Well I am completely covered under warranty and am not expected to pay for anything regarding my Tranny. Thats cool.

But they were unable to get the Tranny to shift properly regardless of what the did... After talking with Ford Corp Techs they came to the conclusion that my MAF is off and running as if I were 4,000 ft above sea level and want to replace my MAF. Apparently the MAF reading were causing my faulty shift points...

My question is this. Does this make sense to anyone else???

Because now I'm coming out of pocket $250 for the MAF.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not convinced that they are related. The MAF readings control how the engine runs, but the transmission shifting is more related to the engine RPM and engine load. I don't see how the MAF can effect the transmission without showing some obvious and irratic engine operation? The engine should be the first thing to show a problem if the MAF were not functioning properly...Not the Transmission???

Also, I am not sure why your transmission is covered under warranty, but the MAF is not? What you need to do is tell them that if the MAF does not fix the problem, then you don't expect to be charged for it. Also, It would be good to be there when they replace the MAF. That way they should just bolt it on and everything should run perfect without any further adjustments or modifications. What I ams saying is that they should be able to bolt the new MAF in place and turn the car back over to you immediately and it should run fine. If they claim they have to make more adjustments, I would be suspicious that it was not really the MAF after all, but they will want to charge you for it anyway.

...Rich

Replace the MAF yourself. It will be much lower than the price they quoted you.

If our A-Hole fellow member Ryan would have followed through with his promise, I would send you my spare MAF for you to try it out. Since that jerk stole from me, you are screwed too.

Everyone say a big "Thank You" to Ryan Eylander.

Tom

Not sure what extended warranty he has, but the ford one I had on my sable did not cover the majority of any sensors. Of course this is all in the fine print, but a lesson I learned the hard way.

Iam not convinced the MAF is it either. If there is some tie in to the trans. I hope a ford tech on this board would explain it to me. If its true, I will learn something new. Iam a proccess instrument tech by trade and I have no problem understanding, sensors, signals and control units.

Yeah... I'm kinda at a lose myself on this one.

None of my Trac is under warranty EXPECT the Tranny because it is newer than the Trac itself when it blew out 10,000+ miles ago. Hence why work on the Trans is free but everything else is out of pocket.

Caymen I'm dropping you a email.

Well... Looks like I am getting a new transmission! Just got the call. The MAF sensor apparently didn't do that trick. (THANKS CAYMEN 4 THAT AID) so now they are replacing the tranny altogether!

I figured you would like that. Whenever a shop says they know what the problem is and it sounds like bunk, I tell them to guarentee that that WILL fix the issue. If it doesn't, I WILL NOT pay for the item they fixed. They can leave the new item in and I keep it for free, OR they put my old one back in. Either way, I am NOT paying for thier R&R BS they try to pull.

That usually perks up thier ears and they start to look for actual issues instead of just guessing.

Tom

Caymen

get off Ryans azz on the forums,is just not right for you to lambast him every chance you get.

Ryan was/Is a very talanted guy.

You, he have issues?resolve them,or forget them.

You, he have issues?resolve them,or forget them.

With all due respect you can not resolve an issue with someone that will not respond to an email. Thanks for your advice though. I habe never had an issue with Ryan. I trusted him and HELPED him when he was having trouble. He stabbed me in the back and left me hanging.

If the roles were reversed, I am sure you would feel the same way.

If you think I need to drop it, please send me the cost of a replacement OE MAF sensor. Then the issue will be dropped and I will never say another word about it again.

Until then, respect my stance and understand where I am coming from.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Either way, I am NOT paying for thier R&R BS they try to pull.

I agree. I tell them that I am paying for Ford trained technicians (FWIW) and not for on the job training, and that, if they want to experiment, it's on their dime.

lol... got a phone call and Ford is baffled because the NEW transmission is slipping also. At this point all i can figure is that it is a computer problem. I hope I don't have to replace that...

:angry::angry:

Ford is putting ANOTHER tranny in! Which means... this is my 4th.

If I didn't have bad luck I'd have none at all! :angry:

They just can't figure it out. It is unF#$King Real! AND I AM VENTING BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN DRIVING A FREAKIN SABLE FOR A MONTH NOW!

{SCREAM-STOMP-SHOUT-YELL-ARGH!}:angry::angry::angry:

might suggest they check the voltage going to the valve body, have heard if the voltage drops below a certain level, or is not within certain parameters, it will cause the "new" tranny to slip as well.

Latest posts