Tranny just went bye-bye!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry Matthews

Reaction score
Well, with just over 92k on my rig, the tranny took a dump a couple of hours ago on the way to visit my mom in the hospital. This is the second time it's gone out in less than 6 months, and this time it's toast. No 3rd, 4th, 5th or reverse... Just 1st and 2nd, and smoke when I try to go. So I guess I'll be shelling out over $3000 for a new one now, after shelling out $1000 for it last time.

I'm NOT real happy right now. Guess I'll be re-thinking my idea of purchasing a new F-250 to replace the ST when the ST wears out. I can't see buying another new Ford when the tranny can't even make 100k, and I've driven Ford trucks for the last 20 years. A new Toyota Tacoma is high on the list now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Krash~~

Sorry to hear of the demise of your ST. Could it have been caused by too many loads of BS? :D

How is Kozmo taking it that he may ride in the back seat of a diffferent truck?? :unsure:

Good luck and Aloha,

Hey Chuck! Good to hear from you!

And I think that the tranny failed because it is FRENCH! :)

Duke & Kozmo will now be riding in my mom's Suburban, which I will be 'boating' around in until they put a new tranny in my rig... so a couple of weeks, most likely. So now I have her handicapped placard AND her truck! (I've been using her placard at the hospital, where parking anywhere near the hospital is scarce. And before someone goes off on me for that, I'm going in for knee replacement surgery next month, so it's not like I'm abusing the priveledge.)

[Broken External Image]:

As you can see, they're not real happy about having to ride in a GM product... :lol:

My dad's Mosers (14-year old cocker spaniel) loves riding in Dad's new Ridgeline just as much as he loved riding in Dad's Tundra. I don't think Mosers really enjoyed the old GMC pickup that dad had before the Tundra.

I'd say "go for a Ridgeline" and wave bye-bye to the service department!

They look so sad, especially the one on the left. You should bring them with you to the dealer, maybe the dealer will give you a new tranny for free.

The one on the left looks guilty. The one on the right looks like he wishes he could talk because he knows what the one on the left did. :lol:

Krash, you can get them for about 800 fully rebuilt with a 2 year 24 month on it, and have some one do the labor...

Just a thought..

Todd Z

Thanks guys, but I need one INSTALLED! My mechanic took a job at a Corvette garage, so I don't have someone or someplace to install it. It's going to Ford today...

As far as buying a Ridgeline goes... NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!!! I"d rather walk before I even rode in one of those ugly arse things!!!

Krash,

If you can find a competent mechanic that will install the transmission reuilt by someone else, theyre are many cheaper alternatives. I know of several companies that sell Street/Strip or even Full-Race versions of the 5R55E built with high quality, heavy duty parts for $1500 to $2400, plus about $100 for shipping.

...Rich

Sorry to hear about the tranny. Sounds like you were taking care of it maintenance wise, so that does sound like a premature failure.

If you were considering a F-250, why are you considering a Tacoma? Did you mean their Tundra full-size? The 4 door Tundra with a full rear roll down glass is a nice choice for a dependable truck, and it is assembled by Americans in San Antonio, TX :)

i'm on the phone right now with Wade at Downtown Ford, and he's checking on prices for a 'black box' Ford rebuilt tranny. $1800 for the tranny (with a 3 yr/36k warranty) and 5 1/2 hours - $518 to install it. Only problem is, their tranny guy is off until Wednesday.

Darin, no I was talking about the Tacoma. I don't WANT an F-250, but since the new ST and the F-150 both have rear seats that either have gaps behind the seat, or the seats fold UP instead of down, I looked at the F-250. I don't want or need a monster that big! So Ford is taking themselves right out of the new truck picture... Doesn't the Tacoma have that power down back window also? And if the Tacoma/Tundra have the same back seat problems, I won't be looking there either!

Krash, if you do decide to go the Toyota route, let me know. I have an old friend that worked at a dealership. I'm not sure if they do something similar to Ford's X-plan, but if he still works there, I can ask.

Ford will be getting my rig on Tuesday for the new tranny... I HAD a competent mechanic for 20 yrs. He finally closed up his shop and went to work for someone else because he wasn't cutting it. (Good mechanic, bad bookkeeper) So, rather than let someone 'untested' work on my rig, I'll let Ford screw it up! :) The 'black box' tranny is a Ford rebuilt tranny, complete in the box, ready to install. With a 3 yr36k warranty, it SHOULD last as long as the truck now. (Seeing as how I don't expect the rest of the truck to last another 3 yrs!)

Up the EPC pressure once you get it back...;)

I noticed that it was done only 6 months ago, Was that by the good friend, IS that why there is no warranty on it?

Todd Z

No, Ford fixed the 2-3 solenoid 6 months ago...

Kevin used to let me do most of my own work at his shop, hence 'no warranty' when I do my own stuff. (But the price was always right!) I've rebuit my Isuzu engine there, and replaced the brakes and ball joints for the ST in his shop before he closed up.

We're gonna spend 15 - 20 minutes testing the tranny first, to be sure that the tranny really IS toast before committing to replacing it.

Sorry to here about your tranny again Krash. I would be a little down on Ford also if I went through 2 trannys in just 92,000 miles. One thing I have learned is to NEVER buy Ford oem parts. I learned that the hard way after replacing 3 heater cores in one year in my wife's old Expedition. My mechanic won't use Ford parts anymore unless he has to. Says Ford's replacement parts are cheap crap. Aftermarket stuff, sad to say, is much more reliable.

Go to www.powerdemon.com they have complete builtup trannys there that may suit your needs. Good luck and hope your problems get rectified.:)