Tranny leak possible

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Zabski

Reaction score
I've been noticing lately a dime size stain on the driveway and didn't know where it was coming from so I jacked up my wife's 03 Explorer today and found the culprit.

The leak seems to be coming from high on top of the engine where the engine block meets the bell housing (I think) on the tranny. Also, near where the oil filter is. It is a clear to yellowy liquid and it smells like the oil you would put in a manual transmission. The truck seems to have a sealed system so I can't match the smell with the dip stick on the tranny as there is none I can find.

Any idea's?

If it's the tranny leaking and idea how much to fix it?

I can not see gear oil getting up there.... the manual explorer tranny uses ATF......

Look around the filter adapter through the wheel well and at the valve covers and stuff....

Todd Z

Ok, will do. Just did some more research and appearently tranny fluid is red, this fluid is definitely not red..

BTW, the truck has an automatic tranny...sorry to confuse...I only made reference to the smell...