Tranny Problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Smack

Reaction score
I have a 2001 ST 4x4 w/ 130xxx miles. So my transmission has been slipping for a little while now. It would be slow to shift to reverse, from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. All other shifts were fine. The OD light would flash constantly too. I had it out on some gravel trail in el paso fro a bonfire and we stopped, put it in park and hopped out to take some pictures. When I got back in, the only gear it would go into was reverse. Had to drive about 20 miles on some rough dirt trails in reverse to get it home. Anyway that was the weekend before I deployed, so it is now sitting in the driveway being started every other day by my wife. After a lot of research early on in the problem I found it would most likely be the valvebody. Is my assumption correct? If the EPC finally crapped out would that make it unable to go into any forward moving gear? Or am I looking at a bit larger of a problem, like an entire tranny rebuild. From the start of the problem to the result it is at now was about 3 weeks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks fellas!

Have you checked fluid level? How many trans fluid (& filter) changes have you done in your 130K? If answer is "none" or "one," I'd say you're in for a rebuild. There's plenty of 'net threads out there - Google "5R55E flashing OD light" and you'll see them. Also check to see if any OBD codes are present.

Forgot to mention I bought the sport trac in May and changed all the fluids and filters as soon as i got it home. drove it 1800 miles from MD to EP, TX. However I didnt do anything with the valve body. Second, where you plug in a sensor computer under the steering wheel doesnt work. I tried several different code readers and none worked. I think the port may be bad. Have been looking to see if there a way around it like with the broncos. No luck yet. My searches for flashing OD lights have lead me to the valve body. I just wanted to see if anyone had some other suggestions. Didnt want to get zeroed in on the VB and miss something.

Thanks for your help!

It could be your transmission filter. I know you just changed it, but if the previous owner didn't, the fresh fluid may have caused the release of caked on varnish from the inside of the transmission, plugging up the filter.

There is a fuse in the fuse box on the side of the dash that controls the OBDII power cant remember the number but check your owners manual.. just found it its fuse 17 a 20amp also controls the 12v power port

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm good point! see told you i would get zeroed in... haha. unfortunately im in afgahnistan and the ST is in the states. but i will def keep that in mind before i get into the VB too much. thanks again

if you've driven it with the OD light flashing a lot, then it is probably toast.. . there has been a ton of discussion of this issue on this board for 10 years. basically, if that light flashes, park the truck immediately and have it towed to at least chnge the fluid (flush). the filter is not as important. It sounds like your trans need a rebuild.

same problem with mt 2001. the valve body gaskets are known to go bad. the updated separator plate has bonded gaskets. i did mine myself using a you tube video as a guide. easy, cheap and fixxed the problem. i have read that if you continue to drive it you will burn up the clutches and bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilYmZpgfXa8

Could also be the shift solenoids. That was the problem with mine. Unfortunately I can't confirm if that'll fix it though as the whole tranny was replaced. I couldn't risk it not working at the time.

I have a 2003 ST XLT 4x4, never had a trans issue until last summer, not shifting between 2nd and 3rd, no passing gear either. Replaced solenoids,reprogrammed at dealer,new valve body with shift kit, abs sensor od sensor, neutral safety switch, torque converter, servo and seals forward and reverse gears,bands, everything you think of. Trans works normal when heated up. when cold does the same thing as it did before I took in for complete rebuild. We are stumped, taking back for third time, Ford won't give any ideas since not doing the work. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Matt,

How does the engine run? Has anyone plugged a scanner into it and watched what the engine is doing as it warms up? Who rebuilt the trans? Was the trans cooler in the radiator flushed (fwiw when I do a new trans it gets a radiator because of the cooler)