Tranny: RPM run-up in AM

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Chatten

Reaction score
My ST is rolling up on 50K and running pretty solid. I have noticed over the past two winters the following: When I first start the ST up, (warm or cold), and I start out and it begins to change gears, when it goes from what I think 1st to 2nd gear, the RPM's shoot up, and then it drops back down, and from that point no sign of the RPM's running up. Has anybody run into that same issue, and should be be pro-active and take it to a AAMCO type shop to review?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

That is called an engine flair... The ST tranny is known for that. You can only do 2 things to fix... Let it warm up relay good in the am, Or have the tranny updated with new solenoids and epc parts... Can cost 6-8 hundred bucks. Most places will tell you that you need a complete rebuild...

Todd Z

I thought the tranny flair problem only occured 2-3 on the ST? And the EPC is suppose to be responsible for it..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '04 and I get the 2-3 flair for the first or second time it shifts when temps are below 50..after that it shifts ok unless, I soft throttle at the 2-3 shift...

Thanks! Great info.

Todd, is it something that is going to eventually cause a major TRANNY problem or is it simply an annoyance that I'll have to live with? Annoyance I can live with :D

Actually, VIC is right, it is gear 2-3 on my 02 ST as well.

Thanks,

Dan

eventially it will cause a tranny probalem, but i have been having that probalem for some time and its been okay so far...try getting a tranny flash it helps for some people or get the xxcal2 it reduces the flair

Dan, as VIK said, IT will eventually cause a complete failure...

Todd Z