tranny slipping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Hasledalen 2

Reaction score
I have a 2002 sporttrac that has 66,000 miles on it and the tranny slips enough to make the od light flash. i was wondering if i should take the 285/75/16 tires off before i bring it into the shop for warantee, i dont want them to void it because of the tires. what does everyone think. do i have to take the tires off before i bring it in?????

If you have the stock tires and rims, I would... If it has been slipping for a long time, you waited toooooo long, and kiss the unit good by... Time for a rebuild...

Todd Z

Take it to a reputable shop and have them check out the Tranny, you may not need a full rebuild, maybe just the solinoids and valve body refit. I also have a tacky question...when was the last time you have had a service. And the dealer can't say crap about the tires...magenson-moss act prohibits that. if you are past warranty, then the tire size don't matter.

have a good one

Bob

Change the tires if you have the originals but if not, don't worry about it. They probably would not notice the slightly larger tire size, and it would be pretty tough for them to claim the slightly larger tires would cause the transmission to slip when it's a common and well known problem.

Since you are covered under the extended warranty, just take it to the most competent dealer you have in town and let them fix it. They will probably just replae the solenoid pack and the valvebody.

If it has been slipping for a long time, it may have damaged the bands and clutches and will require a complete rebuild. So If they only replace the solenoids and/or valvebody, test drive the truck carefullly and be preparted to take it back for more repairs if it still slips even a little bit, especially the 2-3 shift.

...Rich