tranny solenoid change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vik singh

Reaction score
Hi, i have the early madel 01 ST..I was gona change my solenoids on my valvebody and was wondering if i should also change the valve bady seprator gasket as well..I don't wants to drop thefull vavle body and was thinking about just changing the solenoid by dropping the pan..What would you guy suggest in doing.?dropping the valve body and doing a gasget change or jus change the solenoid....

I want to change the solenoids because of my 2-3 tranny flare..ST has about 120,000 miles, and 200,000 km.......

Honestly I think with that mileage your better off just changing the solenoids and up the EPC pressure, I would not rip into the tranny with that many miles on it and spend the money with the miles you have on it..

Todd Z

You should also replace the valvebody itself. That is what causes the solenoids to stick and get overloaded. There is also an improved vavle body avaliable that is slightly modified to prevent/reduce the sticking valves. If you can't get it from Ford check some of the online transmission shops. If you look up 5R55E on any good search engine you will find shops that describe the shift flare problem and they sell modified valvebodies.

...Rich