Tranny Squeel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Well, I had my tranny re-built a while back and things have actually been ok... But I did complain at first that after the thing was warmed up there is a squeel that I could hear, expecially at like a drive-thru window or something...

Its gotten worse, its ALWAYS on, and very annoying. I dont feel any problems with the shifting or anything like that...

But I want to take it back in there nad thought that someone might have an idea as to what needs to be done to fix this annoyance.

Thanks in advance... I dunno what i'd do without you peeps! :)

I'm not exactly sure. I think you may mean a "whine". If it's a "whine" then I think there is a TSB out on that. But it may be worded for between 1-2 or 2-3 gears. It could have something to do with the pressure in the tranny. That would be my "guess". Maybe Todd will see this and have abetter idea.;)

It may not be a tranny issue at all. (B.T.W. this Peep thanks you for your Props!)

I see you have an '01. Have you changed the belt or belts? This could also cause a

squeaking/squealing noise, as the belts may start to slip on the pulleys, even at idle,

at that age or mileage. I've often seen this in my adventures as an A.S.E. Certified

Master Mechanic ;)

One of the Technicians, or "Guys"", may have gotten some trans fluid on one of your

pulleys or belt, when they R&R'd your tranny. This may also cause a slip of the belt

causing the sound you described. And secondly, at a higher mileage, also, a worn power

steering pump can make a "whine" at idle, or above idle.

It appears you said all seems well with the new tranny, at least so far...

Check your maintenance items/per mileage, (like I said, belts, etc...) and then go back

to a tranny issue. Also, again, a worn or weak alternator can make a "whine" noise,

when going bad, electrically, and a squeal-squeak noise if one of the bushings are going bad!

And I love the Mickey D's drive thru in my home town. I ALWAYS hear some kind of

funky noise echoing off of the wall while I'm waiting to pay for my "#6 with a Large Fry!":lol:

Well I actually had a mechanic look at it, and he crawled right under there with a stethoscope (sp) and said it was coming from the tranny...

I have new belts, new tentioner, new alternator... everything else seems good...