tranny swap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vik singh

Reaction score
Hi, my brother 01 ST tranny went 2day with 346,000 km on it..I was looking for a used tranny and one of the wreckers reccomended putting a tranny from a regular explorer..Reason why he told me i will get better fuel econmy since the RPM will be sitting lowerer at higher speeds..I was told no modification are need and it will be a direct bolt..The only thing they said i will loose out on some of the torque and i said that was fine coz i don't pull a trailer anyways...The tranny the wreckers is giving me is out of a 2003 explorer..

Now i wana know will this work first of all or r they bullshiting me..And also will the engine be reving lowere with the tranny out of a regular explorer since i don't plan on changing my gear ratio in the rear differential..? I told the wrecker the explorers rec lowere coz the diffrential ratio is diffrent between the 2 am i rite? Guys give me ur opinions..

MY ST IS A 2WD...AND THE TRANNY AM GONA GERS FROM A 2WD EXPLORER AS WELL

Last edited by a moderator:
JAY, both vehicles use the 5R55e tranny. I am not sure, but I believe that the final transmission drive ratio is the same both in the Trac and standard explorer. My personal opinion is that he is BSing you are doesn't really know the facts. The Explorer uses a full time 4X4 wheras the Trac uses a part time 4X4 transfer case. This, however, should have no affect on the tranny. If he has a good 5R55E tranny at a reasonable price, get it.

The guy at the wrecking yard is blowing smoke up your butt!

The Sport Trac and the regular Explorer use the same transmissions. It's a 5-speed Automatic with Over-Drive. If you go to an earlier model Explorer transmission, you will only be getting a 4 speed automatic. which is no way as good as a 5-speed with overdrive and the 4-speed has similar problems as the 5-speed version of the same transmission.

He is only claiming the Explorer transmission is better, because that's what he has on hand and it may or may not be the same transmission. You would really need to know the year and model of the transmission before you can judge it would be any better, but I don't think anything will give you better mileage/

...Rich

MikeC, you hit it right on the head. He only has an Explorer tranny and is trying to push it for the money. Jay, definately get the year and Tranny model before getting it.