Tranny, Tranny, erghhh

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawn Aleksich

Reaction score
Hello again and greetings from VA Beach. I guess anyone that knows me knows I love my ST. Now I have a problem. 500 miles out of extended warrenty and you got it my tranny goes. Cost is 2000 to fix. So then I started to think about trading it in (boo hoo). I still owe on it so then you do the balancing act. Does the payment plus the transmission vs a new vehicle payment make sense? Problem is....I have driven all kinds of other vehicles and I still love my trac. I look at it, even tho I am mad at it for failing me, and I still love it. See most men think their vehicles are women and so I look at mine as a guy. He is a great looking guy, but not all parts work too good and has attitude problems too but hey that is par for the course. Whew I am feeling better already. Ok so let me get the rest of this out of me. What else will go wrong? I have already replaced the back window motor, the IAC valve and my console broke. I know I need some shoes and brakes soon (that is understandable in this traffic, stop, go, sh$t and get etc). One last comment, Beach Ford is not my friend. Service people have attitudes and I do have a smidge of an issue with Ford not working with the problems on the trannies because it does seem to be a little bit of an issue. So what else can I expect in the future on this 2001? I need to look at the issues ahead and make the best decision possible. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mama Trk:(:wub:

I have a 2001 ST with 40kmiles. My tranny just went on monday. I haven't got it back yet, but I hope it runs well. You need to weigh your options with the trade in. I'm debating doing the same thing. But if I trade it in, I will get a newer ST.

tranny 700.00 on ebay if you can install yourself. I would try a local independant tranny shop rather than the dealer. A friend in FL got his repaired for 500.00 if he pulled it himself.

Thanks for the advise y'all. I have 75,500 miles on mine and do not consider that to high. I had bought an extended warrenty and that went out at 75,000...which is a bummer. I was looking at vehicles and you are right it is crazy with the payments and all. I am looking at around 500 bucks per month with an increase in insurance as well. I took it to a Cottman transmission shop where the people were extremely nice and we talked about what I then later posted here. As well as if I trade with it needing a tranny then what happens is I will have negative equity in the vehicle and have to absorb that somehow. My one hope is that I called Ford and told them my whole situation and complaining that the extended warrenty I bought was never used and that Ford should at least refund that to me as a good will jester. It is worth a try anyhow. Unfortunately, I am not mechanically inclined enough to be able to put a tranny in or even take one out, so I am at the mercy of the people in the shop. I guess I will end up selling my boat to pay for the tranny but if it means no out of pocket I suppose that is what I will do. Oh well, trying times builds character.

Thanks again

Mama Trk :unsure:

Sorry to hear about your bad break. I know it is really irritating when something like that happens with no notice. :(

Ford will probably give you a pat statement similar to this:

The extended warranty is like insurance. You always hope you'll never need it, but it is nice to know it is there if you do. Also like insurance, when the policy period is over it is worthless.

If your ST is in otherwise good shape, I would just get the tranny fixed. It would only take 4 months of new car payments to pay the same amount. I learned this first-hand when I traded my 12 month old vehicle for having the same issue.

I didn't really think about it until later that I basically just tacked another 12 months onto my payments to get the tranny fixed. But I did get an upgraded ST and a 5% reduction in my loan interest in the process too. :D

I just did a search of our inventory on a 2001 Sport Trac Automatic 2 Wheel Drive Transmission built prior to 7/23/01. I found 1124 in stock. The price ranged from $200.00 with 170,000 miles all the way up to $1350.00 w/ 10,254 miles. Also available is a rebuilt for $2195.00 fully rebuilt with a three day turn around.

So they are out there.... If you would like specific figures get your Build date to me. I'll send you a list of what is available, price vs. miles.

Latest posts