Trans drain plug?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Krusich

Reaction score
Do any of you who have installed the auto trans drain plug in the trans pan have a source or part number that you would recommend? THANKS in advance.

Steve

From the Projects section See the link below.., This should help you out..

Also I would recommend a metal washer if it comes with the nylon ones... They tend to dry and crack over time...

Todd Z

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/TrannyPlug/index.html

Any time.....

Todd Z

Is there a good location on the 4x2 pan, for a plug.? I would like to drill it with the pan on. Let it drain, then drop the pan. I hate the mess trying to catch the fluid, when droping the pan.

Eddie,

When I replaced the fluid/filter and installed the plug, I just dropped one end of the pan to drain the fluid. I had a large drain pan below, and the mess wasn't too bad.

TT, I dont have a drain pan large enough, to not make a mess. I have droped alot of trans pans. Just never have had a big enough pan to not make a mess. The reason I asked is I dont know if there is a good place to drill with the pan on. I have always put plugs in the pan once it is droped. Once Im familar with a certain trans. Then I know where to drill on the next one. This is the first trans of this type I have had. I suppose I dont want to buy a large drain pan for one use...:banana:

The 4x4 pan has that round dropout that the 4x2 pan doesnt..

Ed,

Pick up a 4X4 pan and put it on your 2WD..... This way, Just drill the 2wd pan in the center to drain and replace the pan with the 4X4 with the plug installed... ( also you can then use the 4WD filter too)

I am sure some one has a 4X4 pan... I sold mine for like $40.00

Todd Z

I also recommend using some teflon tape on the small drain plug and some silicon RTV on the large mounting bolt to make extra sure it seals up when you install it. I had to redo mine after a few months because it started dripping slightly.

I just punched a hole in mine where I knew I was going to install the drain.

Latest posts