Trans Fluid Flush/Change W/O Filter Change?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
I went to my oil change place, a Havoline Rapid Oil Change shop, and enquired about a transmission flush and fluid change. I also asked if they changed the filter for their $119 price. They said they use some sort of back flush system that cleans the crud out of the filter so it doesn't have to be changed. Is that the way it's normally done?

As far as I know yes, thats why I added a drain plug and just change the fluid more often that way, and then change the filter when required.

I drain the fluid at most oil changes and refill, and then change the filter once a year. I don't want anything pushing fluid through my transmission backwards!

Some of them supposedly use the transmission pump to move the fluid through normally, and tap into the cooler lines to let the old fluid out and put new fluid in, but I don't know how many do it that way. And that doesn't do anything for the filter.

I've been doing some reading on-line it seems there are a lot of unnecessary risks to having the transmission flushed. Maybe I should just go with a filter change.

I have had mine flushed twice with no problems. Draining it and changing it only cleans half the fluid.

You can not BACKFLUSH the ST tranny....... IF the do a full fluid flush then your good, Depending on miles and other factors...

You do not have to change the filter every time, but should every other or every third service..

Todd Z

Which line is the feed line for the tranny cooler in the radiator and which one is the return line? I know where they are, but don't know which one is which.

Back flushing a transmission is BS, it cannot be done. Some idiots who try to appease peoples concern that the filter cannot be replaced in a flush with tell spout this BS.

As Todd Z, said, just get a simple flush and you should have no problems. If you flush your transmission regularly, your tranny filter will easily last 100K miles. Remember that a transmission filter is NOT designed to act like and engine oil filter. A tranny filter is not designed to trap and collect dirt or contaminates. It is only designed to stop them from getting sucked up from the pan and circulated through the transmission.

Most of the debris in the fluid is small metal particles that wear off from the friction clutches and bands in the transmission. Transmissions have a magnet in the pan to trap and hold these particles. The filter is there to prevent any particles still in suspension in the fluid from getting sucked back through the transmission.

Once the engine is shut off, these particles that were stopped by the filter fall harmlessly to the bottom of the pan where they are trapped by the magnet and prevented from getting sucked back through the tranny.

The tranny filter is not like an engine oil filter that traps and holds all the dirt and will eventually become clogged. The engine oil filter traps all kinds of contaminates and byproducts from combustion and must be replaced periodically. Transmission do not hold onto the particles they trap and while a very small amount of particles may become trapped or lodged in the transmission filter, it cannot become clogged as to prevent fluid circulation unless the fluid was never changed or flushed. If transmission fluid is not changed it will eventuall become sticky like a varnish and that coating on the filter and other parts will lead to transmission failure

I always recommend that if you do regular tranny flushes every 25K-30K miles or more if you tow, you can easily go 100K+ miles before you will need to change the tranny filter.

...Rich

If the transmission filter doesn't trap particles, there would never be a reason to change it unless it had a hole in it. Just take the pan off, clean it out and put it back on.

I tend to think the transmission filter should be replaced regularly, and it appears that particles can easily get embedded in it.

The magnet may catch some of the pieces, but only the iron pieces.