Trans fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure it's 4 and a little bit. Like a big dummy, I put 5 in mine and had to 'extract' about 2/3 of a quart. :wacko::D

Hand tighten the oil filter. Also, from my experience, putting in a complete 5 quarts is a little too much (as far as I can tell on the dipstick). I fill the filter with a little bit of new oil before I install it then add a full 4 quarts plus a little bit of leftover from the fifth bottle.

(edit) Whoops, nevermind, you're talkin about Tranny fluid. Disregard. That is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excerpt from my Haynes 2004 Sport Trac workshop manual:

"Tighten the transmission fluid pan screws in a crisscross sequence."

14Nm (10 lb-ft)

The transmission fluid filter screw is 10Nm (89 lb-in).

Last edited by a moderator:
A word of caution. I had my 30K mile service done a couple of weeks ago by Ford. I asked them to make sure they didn't forget the friction modifier, which was put in during the recall about 6 months ago. Their service manager explained to me that is no longer necessary, since the transmission fluid has been reformulated. I don't know what this reformulated fluid is called, but I bet it isn't Mercon V anymore.