Trans. Help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 2003 ST (58,000 mi) is starting to slip majorly in Rev. and shifting from 3rd to 4th gears. The OD light flashes on and off every once in a while, we checked the fluid and it smells like something is burning, and there are small peices of metal in it. We expect the worse which is a new one will be needed. Does anybody have any info or know the average price for a new ST Transmission? Thanks a lot.

-Mitch

Could have saved the tranny when the light first came on. The light comes on for a reason.

Sounds like that you need a complete rebuild....

No extended warranty huh???

Todd Z

Yep...with those conditions looks like a rebuild...take it to a quality recomended independent...wont cost as much as ford....

Mitch, I just had tranny problems myself, and scoured the web for help with locating a tranny. And, I found one an 02 tranny that had 15,000 K on it from New York Block. Their number is 1 800- 982- 1711 (ask for "Z") They took care of my needs at a time that i was desperate for help because I didn't have the thousands that my Ford dealer was asking for it to be rebuilt. I was lucky to get one with that mileage, and it only cost me $580 + $70 for shipping/frieght. Then I got another lucky streak when a Ford dealer only charged me $450 to hook it up! And BTW, my tranny was BURNED UP! SO do your best to find whatever remedy that is comfortable for you and your finances, and good luck with it! Oh yeah, you are at the right site for all the help you will need to decipher your ST problems and get sound advice.

If you need or want a price I can send you a list of what is available across the nation. Miles vs. cost and rebuilt too in most cases.

Ley me know if I can help....

Mitch,

There are no new 5R55E transmission for sale. The new transmissions are made in France and shipped directly to the Ford assembly plants. The only replacement transmissions available are Rebuilt/Remanufactured units.

Most Ford dealers and transmission shops charge about $2400-$2800 for the rebuilt transmission including the removal/installation labor.

...Rich